Best discount card for the Interlaken region?

Best discount card for the Interlaken region?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
aerodaan
aerodaan
2 posts
Feb 22, 2016 - 6:17 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I get some good info. I'm planning on a trip to Switzerland with my family and will stay in the region of Interlaken. Of course a trip to Jungfraujoch is on our list and I wonder what would be the best railroad pass to purchase to get me the most discount on train fares.

I was quite shocked by the prices to travel to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken. I would nearly pay CHF 550,- for a return trip for me and my wife, my 2 year old and my 14 year old!! Can this trip be done any cheaper?

All suggestions are welcome

Arno
Arno
7700 posts
expert &
Feb 23, 2016 - 6:04 AM

Hi aerodaan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The way to pick a rail pass is to list all of your trips and then find the pass that offers most savings or convenience. Jungfraujoch happens to be the most expensive day trip in Switzerland, but even without a rail pass it won't cost you CHF 550. The regular price is CHF 438.80 (CHF 204.40 per adult and CHF 30 for a Junior travelcard). If you don't mind traveling very early in the morning or late in the afternoon, the adult price goes down to CHF 145. Please see here.

But a rail pass will most probably be a better option, as I assume you'll be doing more trips and you also need to travel to and from Interlaken. A Swiss Half Fare Card or Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland may fit your plans. Please see here for how to pick a pass.

aerodaan
aerodaan
2 posts
Feb 23, 2016 - 4:58 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks Arno,

I will certainly look into this. We are staying very close to Interlaken and we travel by car most of our trips, it is easy to travel to various train stations to hop on the train to the Jungfraujoch. Would you suggest a one-day-travel pass for an adult (as this is much cheaper)?

Arno
Arno
7700 posts
expert &
Feb 23, 2016 - 6:28 PM

Hi again,

For drivers the Swiss Half Fare Card is almost always the best choice. Nevertheless I would recommend to board the train at the nearest rail station and not drive to the closest point you can reach by car. Train trips are part of the fun, and if you board in Interlaken you can do a round trip Grindelwald - Jungfraujoch - Lauterbrunnen. You can't do so if you drive all the way to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald.

There are no one-day travel passes, except for Swiss Half Fare Card holders, but that would not make sense for the average day trip as you have to travel a lot to reach the break even point.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016