Best section of Glacier Express?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 16:58:52 #811425

4/16/17

Hi,

We can not take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St.Moritz, but if you have a choice, which section you will pick?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2017 at 6:24:11 #861640

Hi Mindy,

I would maybe try and do the section between Chur and St. Moritz. Read more about each main section of the Glacier Express route here. The route you pick may be based more on where you are coming from that day that anything else though!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2017 at 8:34:47 #861641

I enjoyed it most from the point when, you have a river flowing by your side, and the train starts to climb. And then all the way till St Moritz. Lucas, which point is that? (This and other questions below, to plan for my next trip!)

Mindy, you can do this route with other trains which run on the same route, as the above links will tell you. You can also cover the route in parts, acrossdifferent days, depending on where you are traveling on each particular day.

But not sure which trains may have windows as large, and those that you can open and put your head out too?!!

Thanks….Suresh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2017 at 11:52:27 #861642

Hi Suresh,

I think that area is around Filisur but I am not 100% sure. The regional trains will not have larger, opening windows but they do follow the same route!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 0:20:22 #861643

i too plan for short route journey on glacier express route. from brig to zermatt.

i will be travelling from interlaken to brig in noon. reach brig to catch glacier express.

visit zermatt for about 1 hr and will be back to interlaken by evening train.

is this trip o.k and fine.

regards.

dr. sanjay

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 9:11:22 #861644

It is a good option for your limited time Sanjay.

I might leave Interlaken earlier if possible and spend a little more time in Zermatt – up to you!

Have a great trip!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 9:47:05 #861645

I also wish you’d spend more time in the train, especially in the better parts of the journey, for the CHF33 that it costs for the mandatory reservation! (Which i hope you are aware of.)

Suresh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 12:35:44 #861646

Thank you all so much !!

We only have 12 days in Switzerland and want to cover it all (as you know, lol). Due to our limited time and seat reservation (hard to get seats on Glacier Express, we have 4 people) . I have booked $33 Ch per seat on the Zermatt – Chur (may have to go back next time for Chur- St.Moritz – the best part). In any event , thank you and can not wait to tell you our experience when we return!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 16:51:47 #861647

What is the reservation cost from brig to zermatt. i have stp.

does glacier express stops at visp. can i board from visp instead of brig.

how far is brig / visp from interlaken.

what is special in zermatt to explore and how much time it needs

pl. guide.

regards, dr. sanjay

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 18:12:15 #861648

Hi Sanjay,

The reservation charge is the same regardless of where you board the train (in summer it is 33 chf).

The schedule for the Glacier Express can be found here. It looks like Brig is the only option to board the train.

Here is our list of recommended activities to do in Zermatt – I would expect 4 to 6 hours would be needed to visit the town and go up Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 7:43:27 #861649

Hi Lucas,

Need a suggestion. Which would be the best option for me to spend one day in Switzerland 1) Montreaux area or 2) Zermatt Area.Also what are the options to cover in each of these areas. I would be travelling with family and enjoy mostly nature. I would be coming from Zurich early morning Via GSTAAD and can go either Monteax Area or Zermatt Area. Next day I have reservation in Glacier Express (from Brig to St. Mortiz and then local train to Tirano and then to Rome next day).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 8:07:54 #861650

Hi bikashkhetan and welcome tom MySwissAlps!

Well if you are traveling the next day on the Glacier Express I would go to Zermatt and enjoy the town and sights for sure!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 11:34:36 #861651

Thanks Lucas. Is it possible to change the reservation from Zermatt since my current booking is from Brig with STP. Also the booking does not show which seat is right side or left. If the weather is not good for Matherton in mid June then what is the alternative.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 12:40:24 #861652

You will have to contact the company you booked the reservation with to ask to make the change – there may be a fee.

They won’t guarantee you what side you are seated on. Both sides are good options really. 🙂

You mean if the weather is poor and you don’t want to go to Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn to see the Matterhorn? The village of Zermatt is certainly quite nice (there is a Matterhorn museum) to walk and explore, and there are some hikes for you to try out if you wish. Let’s hope for good weather for you though as the focus is to see the Matterhorn and go up one of the mountains to get an even better view!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 2:54:16 #861653

We are planning to go from Lugano to Zermatt on the Benina Express and the Glacier Express.Would it be best to do Lugano-Chur- Zermatt or Lugano-Tirano-St Moritz- Zermatt? Is it better to start the Glacier Express in St Moritz or Chur? Is St Moritz a town worth stopping for the night in?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 6:04:29 #861654

Hi Sheree,

St. Moritz is a fairly luxurious ski resort town that can be interesting for some people – have a look at our information page here for what to see and do.

If you want to do both trains and are traveling in the summer season, you can take the Bernina Express bus from Lugano to Tirano, then take the Bernina Express train to St. Moritz and then over night there and continue on the Glacier Express to Zermatt.

Certainly Lugano – Chur – Zermatt is the more direct route and makes things simpler for you.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Best section of Glacier Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.