When to purchase Swiss Rail Passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2011 at 13:35:09 #804173

Thank you for all you advise throughout these forums – they are soooo helpful. Here is one more question that I sure has been answered before but I couldn’t find it. We are in the US and our trip to Switzerland is in late May – You had advised us to purchase a 15 day Swiss rail pass which we are going to do purchase but my question is should I buy them online before I leave the US or should we just purchase them when we get off the plane in Zurich and go to the rail station and just purchase them there before we begin our trip?? I have made reservations for all the trains already so now I am just wondering when/ where I should purchase the Swiss Pass. Also, we are going to go over to Austria when do I buy that pass/ ticket since our departure will be from St. Moritz to Salzburg?? Thanking you again for your terrific forum!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 March 2011 at 15:07:55 #832352

Hi merlin,

Thanks for your compliments! You can purchase both in advance and at the rail station of Zurich airport, whatever option you find most convenient. There is a price difference though. I noticed from your other post that you prefer a 1st class pass. Currently, a 15 day 1st class Swiss Saver Pass for 2 people costs CHF 1186.60, about $1315, in Switzerland. Online it is $ 1218 including shipping. To purchase online, just click “USA” on the Swiss Pass page and follow the instructions.

As for Austria: I don’t know the local prices of those passes, but I would personally prefer to have that pass in advance to avoid any delays to arrange for it over there. Also, I don’t know where you can purchase such a pass in Switzerland. Please note that Eurail passes are only available from a limited number of sales outlets in Europe, and it’s always more expensive than buying in advance. If you decide to get your Swiss Pass online, I would recommend to order along your pass for Austria as well.

I hope this helps you decide. Enjoy you stay in the Alps!

• The thread ‘When to purchase Swiss Rail Passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.