When to visit Switzerland for Hiking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2014 at 21:07:33 #806308

My family and I, 5 adults and 5 children, ages 5-13, will be traveling to Switzerland for the first time next year. We would like to know the best time to visit. We plan to spend time in Berne as well as hike in the Swiss Alps and visit Gimmelwald, Murren and Zermatt. We had thought of traveling in April, but I read on a couple websites that for hiking in the Alps, April is not necessarily a good time for that and that June through September are best. Just want to get more input on this topic. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 April 2014 at 7:50:37 #839742

Hello Sue601,

Well, you can hike all year round, but indeed there are much more options in Summer. I would say that July, August and September are the best months, as the chance of the higher trails being inaccessible because of snow is very low. In Winter you’re limited to the Winter trails that have been cleared from snow. In Spring and Fall there are still lots of options, but mostly in lower altitudes. Trails might be snow covered or muddy in those seasons, so it takes a bit more preparation to pick the best options. Also, Spring and Fall are low-season, which means that some cable cars are closed.

It all depends on your expectations, but for high altitude trails, Summer is best.

I think the pages below may be interesting for you:

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    14 April 2014 at 7:53:13 #839743

April, May, and early June are not good times for hiking in the Alps around Bernese Oberland. Most of the high mountain transports will be shut down until at least early to mid-May and the walks (which are the truly stunning ones) accessible from those points are usually not open until mid-June, sometimes later. Most likely nothing at all will be open in Gimmelwald and very little in Mürren or Wengen. Even the lower elevation walks might still be snow-covered and/or muddy in April.

Suggest you plan for late June through mid-September.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 April 2014 at 7:54:53 #839744

Good to see we’re on the same page here Kim! Thanks for posting!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    14 April 2014 at 8:05:16 #839745

Hello Arno, looks like we pressed the “Post” button about the same time! Glad we didn’t provide conflicting/confusing info 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2014 at 17:43:08 #839746

Thank you so much Arno and Kim for your comments! My family is getting together this coming weekend so we will have lots to discuss, including a change in the time-frame for our trip. Thanks also, Arno, for the other information links. This is going to be quite an undertaking . . . good thing we’re starting early with the planning:)

• The thread ‘When to visit Switzerland for Hiking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.