Where to stay near Luzern after Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 14:19:49 #812222

Hi folks

once again thank you for your valuable information i have a dilemma after staying Friday to Tuesday in Montreux and exploring the area, i have to move on and arrive in Zurich by the following Friday for early departure to Brussels on the Saturday

My original option was to go onto Lucerne and take the Golden Pass route however i can only get one nights accommodation in the place i wish to book which is within my budget. they however have one night available on the Thursday.

So my itinerary is

Friday night – arrive Montreux

Saturday – Go to Geneva

Sunday Walk to Chillion Castle and continue to Villenvue or St.Gingolph and take boat cruise from there over to Lausanne explore Lausanne and walk down through the vineyards

Monday – do Rochers de Naye hike down from Glion through Gorges

Tuesday – have to leave my accommodation – Where to next – Thinking Engelberg – please advise

Wednesday – Book into Luzern YHA and stay overnight

Thursday – explore Luzern and possible lake cruise with a walk – any suggestions pleas

Friday – move onto Zurich – would like to do the Rhinefalls and explore Zurich is possible

Therefore i would like suggestions as to where to base myself on the Tuesday and stay overnight Hope this makes sense many thanks

Thursday

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2017 at 3:28:54 #864945

Did you check out Villa Maria?

villa-maria.luzern-hotels.com/en/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 12:02:01 #864946

So on Tuesday night you are trying to stay as close to Luzern as possible?

We have a list of the best budget hotels in Switzerland here. There is an option in Luzern, Montreux (if you want to stay another night) and Brienz which is a nice town as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 16:58:51 #864947

Thanks Lucas and Slowpoke for you information

i have looked into your accommodation Villa Maria looks lovely Slowpoke but unfortunately it isn’t in our price range as we would have to get two rooms, this is were the beauty of the YHA has been beneficial as we have a room for all 4 of us and breakfast included.

I have decided to book the YHA at Engelberg

If anyone has any information on what to see in the area i would be really grateful . Most mention Titlis but i believe the only way to visit is by cablecar and I have a member of the party who doesn’t like the fact that they are ‘dangling in midair’ so to speak as to a certain extent they do overcome their fear of heights.

i would like to utilise the day in Engelberg as it is only 45mins from Luzern .

Many thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 19:10:37 #864948

I haven’t been to Engelberg before, but as you note, it is quite close to Luzern – so anything on our Luzern activities page is easily doable from Engelberg. Many mountains involve cable cars here in Switzerland unfortunately – so it does limit you somewhat – Mt. Pilatus is an option however.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 21:02:50 #864949

Thanks Lucas and Slowpoke

I have actually decided to go to Zermatt as originally planned had booked there and then changed my mind.it has lured me back after watching a program called Great Continental Railways on BBC 2 which did the train route from Zermatt to Montreux and then onto Bern and ended up in Geneva. My husband liked the look of the journey and asked if we were going to Zermatt from Montreux so hence we are now going.

That is why i also asked in another post about the Glacier Express and whether regional trains to the same destination would avoid reservations which Lucas has very kindly answered for me.

Thanks again for all your help don’t know what i do without this site

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2017 at 21:07:42 #864950

<<“My husband liked the look of the journey and asked if we were going to Zermatt from Montreux so hence we are now going”>>

Hi Twiggy –

which route have you chosen?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 3:24:33 #864951

>> it has lured me back after watching a program called Great Continental Railways on BBC 2 which did the train route from Zermatt to Montreux and then onto Bern and ended up in Geneva. My husband liked the look of the journey and asked if we were going to Zermatt from Montreux so hence we are now going.

Re the trip between Zermatt and Montreux: apart from the sector from Zermatt to Visp, which is part of the Glacier Express route, this route lacks the rural and traditional character of the classic scenic routes and has larger towns and cities with modern buildings and commercial and industrial activity featuring fairly prominently. It is a pleasant enough journey, but cannot be compared with the beauty of the classic scenic routes.

Likewise for the trip from Montreux to Bern. Once past the beautiful Lavaux terraces, the trip is pleasant enough, but the landscape is comparatively flat (for Switzerland), and not particularly engaging compared with the scenic routes.

These are only my personal opinions of course, and I am heavily biased towards mountainous rural landscapes 😉

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 June 2017 at 9:14:58 #864952

Hi Alpenrose-

<<“These are only my personal opinions of course, and I am heavily biased towards mountainous rural landscapes ;-)”>>

I agree, which is why I asked about the route.

If I had the time, I’d go from Momtreux to Zweissimen, Spiez, Kandersetg, Brig, Visp and then Zermatt.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 17:32:14 #864953

hi Slowpoke and Alpenrose

I didn’t realise there was different ways to go – the route that the sbb comes up with is

10.38 from Montreux changing at Visp – route to Visp includes the following stops Aigle, Bex,Martigny, sion, sierre/siders, leuk , Visp. inter Regio 1715

Change at Visp onto the R233 Direction Zermatt – Stalden-saas, kalpetran, st niklaus, Herbriggen, Randa, Tasch, Zermatt.

I am open to alternative ways but would like to ideally get there midday ish so that i can do the 5 lakes hike and explore the immediate area as we are staying overnight anyway.

Also when we leave Zermatt to go to Luzern I was thinking of the route via Bern as would like to visit Bern on route if possible

I have a interrail global pass and would like to avoid having to make reservations and hence this is why i have opted for the above route Montreux to Zermatt as the Glacier Express requires reservations – i am correct that this route is on the glacier express but is on a regional train rather than the Glacier Express and hence i dont have to make reservations

Thankyou once again the fabulous forum team for taking the time to answer and the valuable info you give

Maria

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 June 2017 at 18:44:25 #864954

Hi Maria-

As explained on the opening page of this following link, the SBB computers default to the fastest route. To force it to slower routes ( which is usually the correct descriptive word for the more scenic routes), you have to put in a “via” station:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

That is why I listed the stops along my other suggested routing.

To clarify what I ‘m about to discuss, you would do well to have a map open.

map.search.ch/?pos=613696,138048&z=4

The very scenic route from Montreux via Zweisimmen to Spiez ( along the Golden Pass tracks) at 0844 arrives Spiez at 1147. 3 hours and 3 minutes. Continuing to Zermatt at 1212 via the very scenic upper route through Kandersteg gets you to Zermatt at 1451. That does not meet your scheduling needs.

Just for amusement I let the computer get me to Spiez from Montreux by the fastest route. It can take 2 hrs and 14 minutes via Lausanne and Bern. If you go to Visp via Martigny, using the Rhone Valley part of the way that you plan to, then take the fast train through the new fast basis tunnel to Spiez, it actually takes only 1 hr 46 minutes. Just a bit over half as much time as using the Golden Pass routing. That points out how much time is saved by using mainline trains. I’m not suggesting that route for you.

If you were to compromise, and go from Montreux at 0844 to Spiez via Zweisimmen ( slow route, Golden Pass tracks) then use the fast boring route through the new “basis” tunnel to Visp and onward to Zermatt, it would take an additional 1 hr 47 minutes to get to Zermatt. You’d arrive at 1351. Possibly, too late for you; maybe not?. You’d have to leave Montreux at 0844, a couple of hours before you plan to.

The 1038 departure you suggest from Montreux gets you to Zermatt at 1314…..2 hrs, 36 minutes. Obviously, you could go earlier.

This is an exercise in trading off scenic travel on slow trains, vs. fast travel on less scenic trains and having more time when you are at your destination ( or, for a late breakfast).

Swizerland rail gives you those choices.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 19:51:14 #864955

Thanks Slowpoke

Yep it is a hard decision when its scenic versus fastest. i would like to do part of the Golden Pass Route so think we will look into the above route you suggest i think alot will depend on what the weather forecast is on the day if it is looking like Zermatt might be cloudy etc then more time on the train might be a good idea.

Would any part of the Golden Pass Route be covered on the following day going from Zermatt to Luzern thinking of going via interlaken any advice

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 June 2017 at 20:07:41 #864956

Hi Maria –

<<“Would any part of the Golden Pass Route be covered on the following day going from Zermatt to Luzern thinking of going via interlaken any advice”>>

Please look at this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

You would pick up yhe Golden Pass route at Spizez, and use any ttrain tio get to Interlaken Ost. From there ot Luzer, the fastest route, via Meiringen, is on the Golden Pass Route. That leg is called the Luzern Interlaken Express. It’s quite a nice ride, wiyh some nice scenery on the left as you descend from the Brunig to about Alpnachstad, where the lake and mountains on the right are nice.

In my opinion, the absolutely best part of the Golden Pass route is the section from Montreux to about Montbovon or Zweisimmen. Better going downhill, toward lake Geneva, I think. Switchbacks above Montreux mean that there is no preferred side to sit on. That is the part where they have the special panaorama cars where you sit in the very front of the train.

Reservations necessary, but the other trains on the same route are nice, too.

Check it all out with a map and the timetable.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where to stay near Luzern after Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.