Where to stay for trip to Eastern Switzerland

• Teddy629
    Participant
    14 posts
    14 November 2020 at 17:35:26 #825732

Last year spent just over 3 weeks in Switzerland, Visited Geneva for 3 days, traveled to Zermatt and enjoyed the region for 3 days then went to Interlaken for just over 2 weeks and finished in Zurich for the remainder of our stay. In Interlaken, we were fortunate to stay at a extremely convenient apartment, Dependance OST, located next to two bus stops which allowed access to downtown and both train stations. During our visit we daily explored the Bernese Oberland region by train, bus and boat. It turned out to be the most enjoyable of our many international travels. A lot to see while maintaining a central location to return to everyday..

With that being said, I am looking for advise as to where to stay in the eastern part of Switzerland that would afford a similar scenario. A small centrally located town that would act a a daily base from which to explore the surrounding region. Obviously ease of access to public transportation, trains and buses, would be essential. I have visited Zurich therefore would be looking for a more south eastern location. I am not sure if St Moritz would be too far south. Additionally, could spend a few days traveling further east into Austria. I know this request sound rather extensive but looking for ideas because I wish to return to Switzerland . I would be planning this return during the summer months since my aging body isn’t craving a winter vacation.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 November 2020 at 20:34:00 #934443

Hi Teddy629,

Glad to know you enjoyed your previous trip to Switzerland, and even more glad to know you are planning for another visit next summer.

If you are planning a trip to eastern Switzerland, you are probably looking at the Appenzell and St Gallen region, part of the Bodensee and also the Graubunden region. This is a beautiful part of Switzerland and I’m sure you’ll find there’s lots to explore here. For easy and convenient access to Austria, I would recommend St Gallen or Sargans as a base. Chur and Davos are also good alternatives if you think St Moritz is a bit too far south. When in the region, I would definitely recommend taking any one of the following panoramic trains which traverse across this region.

Please refer to this page for more information about the Graubünden region, including hotel and rentals options in the area:

Regards,

Anna

Teddy629
    Participant
    14 posts
    14 November 2020 at 23:52:38 #934444

Anna,

Thank you for your reply, I’ll begin exploring your suggestions. I’m sure they’ll prove to be very positive.

I referred to St Moritz as maybe being too far south thinking that all travel would be north to explore. I have read that St Moritz is often neglected by non European travelers.

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    15 November 2020 at 5:53:13 #934445

Hi Teddy629,

Thought I’d attach the link to our trip report from May/June 2019 of the St.Gallen, Appenzell, and Chur area for some information for you. Our reports for other areas we visited as well are in the forum too, as well as some photos.

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/trip-report-day-1-7-zurich-st-gallen-appenzell

Happy planning!

Narelle

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 November 2020 at 8:51:22 #934446

Hi Teddy629 –

You might take a look at St. Gall, by searching for that name in the forum.

Here are some things that I have enjoyed there::

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/st-gall-aka-sankt-gallen-and-good-bratwurst

Slowpoke

Rogerpeth
    Participant
    13 posts
    19 November 2020 at 10:24:20 #934447

Hello. I agree with the suggestions of Chur as a base. Excellent road and rail communications to the surrounding areas. It is also a lovely city I spent two weeks in the Graubünden last year on a motorcycle and it is beautiful. Also two weeks in a Motorhome at Landquart in 2011. St Gallen is my next visit so I cannot offer any help here but would recommend Rheinfall for a visit. Hope this helps. Roger

Teddy629
    Participant
    14 posts
    19 November 2020 at 16:00:39 #934448

Rogerpeth,

Thank you for your reply to my inquiry. All information has been helpful as I explore where to stay and what to focus on seeing. Switzerland is such a beautiful country well worth an extended second visit. At my age I am finding it is more enjoyable to reside in a central location that affords easy access to the surrounding country side with public transportation. I hate packing and unpacking while hauling suitcases from town to town. 1 1/2 hr train rides are comfortable and enjoyable and allow for day excursions into areas of interest. Thanks again, T Eddy

• The thread ‘Where to stay for trip to Eastern Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.