Muerren or Wengen for 3 nights from May 10

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2017 at 4:30:25 #810575

Hi,

WE are staying 2 nights in Lucerne and then heading to the mountains for 3 nights. I read that not every service is running in May. As a Australian from Queensland not at all familiar with mountain weather. Is it ok to stay in Murren or should we chose somewhere else such as Wengen? Have never been to the mountains before so do not know what to expect. We are travelling by rail. We love the idea of being right in the mountains and hope to visit Jungfro, weather permitting. Have a changeable booking at Hotel Alpina in Murren.

Cheers Robby

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    15 January 2017 at 7:30:00 #858053

Hi Robby,

As you’ve probably read, the weather in May can be variable. The ski season doesn’t finish until April and there will be snow on the north facing slopes. You’ll need some cold weather clothes, especially in the shade or at night. Think more Thredbo than Cairns. As for Wengen or Muerren, they’re both at the same altitude, just on different sides of the Lauterbrunnental. For my money, the views from Wengen are slightly more impressive, but if it’s your first trip, either will be fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2017 at 9:11:13 #858054

Hi Robby,

You may find this page on weather in Switzerland to be helpful.

Also, take a look at our Wengen and Muerren pages for a little more info on the areas, but as AlanPrice said, I’m sure you’ll enjoy either.

Regards,
    Lucas

traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    17 January 2017 at 12:52:53 #858055

Hi Robby,

Wengen is more convenient if you are planning to go to the Jungfrau. The scenery in this little village has a more panoramic view as you see the mts from a wider angle. The Mannlichen cable ride is also wonderful but I am not sure if its opened during your visit..

Murren has a much much closer view of the mountains and some may find it too “claustrophobic” after a while if compared to the more “open” views in Wengen. It’s a longer journey to the Jungfrau from Murren. You can always take a day ride to Murren from Wengen. Do take a look at photos of the two places on this site or even Tripadvisor to get a better idea.

Here’s my short blog with photos

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/pt4-trip-report-lauterbrunnen-murren

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/part-2-trip-report-2012-wengen-jungfrau

MySwissAlps is a great site, so do take time to read the trip reports and other info on these two places.

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 22:22:35 #858056

Thankyou everyone for help. Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Muerren or Wengen for 3 nights from May 10’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.