Whether to Carry Passports all the time

Whether to Carry Passports all the time

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
AtulBhide
AtulBhide
24 posts
Mar 31, 2012 - 5:16 AM
We will be in Switzerland for 8 days and will not leave Switzerland border and re-enter in between these 8 days.

My question is whether every day we will have to carry the Passports with us? Does Passports are to be shown along with the Swiss Pass every time?

To carry the Passport all the time brings extra botheration and additional Risk. Can we carry the Photo copy of passport in lieu of original?

Please help some one.

Regards
Atul Bhide
Wandermann
Wandermann
297 posts
top member
Mar 31, 2012 - 8:09 AM
Hello Atul,

Untill now we never had to show our passports along with our Swiss Passes.

All travellers in Switzerland must be able to identify themselves. Follow this link for more information. Especially look at this text:
"There is a legal requirement in Switzerland that a government-issued ID be carried by travellers at all times. Visitors from countries that do not provide an ID card (e.g., U.K. or USA) must carry their passport - or at the very least a copy of their passport".

I hope this helps.
KaraBoo
KaraBoo
13 posts
Apr 4, 2012 - 8:58 PM
My only comment is that last month my husband and I visited some out of the way (i.e., not in the Rick Steves' travel guide) villages across Switzerland, and on the train/bus/boat routes, a few conductors were not as familiar with the Swiss Pass and did indeed ask to see our passports. This didn't happen every time, but it happened about half of the time. This is the first time this happened to us (visited in 2010 and 2011), but we were lucky we had our passports at hand. But your "mileage may vary"!
AtulBhide
AtulBhide
24 posts
Apr 4, 2012 - 10:54 PM
Thanks Wandermann and KaraBoo both,

The summary is - it is better to carry the passports than to spoil the holiday mood.

Regards
Atul Bhide
matt-uk
matt-uk
27 posts
Apr 7, 2012 - 11:03 AM
always good to know this, was debating the same thing myself, or whether to just take our uk driving licenses with us during daytime travel

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016