Which is the best pass for 6 days in the Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2014 at 15:57:53 #806589

We will be spending six days in Murren in September (starting on August 30, in fact), arriving by car and parking at either Stechelberg or Lauterbrunnen (any input on which is better or on which way to get to Murren with luggages will be appreciated).

Our plan is to hike around both sides of the valley. This might include, weather permitting :
    – Down to Lauterbrunnen and hike up to Murren trough ISenfluh and Grutshalp (as described by Kim in her report).
    – Hike up to Schilthorn, maybe down also.
    – Up the Jungfraujoch. On the way down hike from Eigergletscher down to Grindelwald.
    – Hike from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and to Mannlichen.
    – Hike from Grindelwald to First and then to the Bachalpsee.

With such a plan, I have trouble figuring which pass or which mix of passes would suit us best. From what I was able to find, the three-day Jungfrau VIP pass, since it allows us free travel from Murren seems the better one, as in includes the trip up the Jungfraujoch, even when adding to it the cost of the Mannlichen-Wengen trip and everything on the other side of the valley on the other days (Schilthorn and down the valley on our arrival and departure days).

Any advice? If we go for the VIP pass, can it be bought at the Murren BLM station?

Regarding hiking trails, what we usually do is we buy a good map that shows the trails and the elevations (such as the IGN maps in France), and we wander around. I imagine there is a similar king of map for the Jungfrau. Do you know where we could buy one? Any recommendation on trails or on other sources for information on trails (I’ve already looked at myswissalps.com/hiking). (I’ll post that part of this message in the other forum.)

Thank you all.

Tina, counting the days …

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    22 August 2014 at 10:02:06 #840879

Welcome to MySwissAlps tina28! The Jungfrau VIP pass fits your plans indeed and might be a great choice. There are some restrictions though that are worth taking into account. It’s valid on 3 consecutive days, meaning you won’t have any discounts on the other days of your stay. Moreover, the validity area is quite small. If you plan to strictly stay within the Jungfrau region that’s no problem, but if weather frustrates your plans, you may want to be able to cover a somewhat larger region. For these reasons, the 6 day Jungfrau Railways Pass might be an option too, as it provides more flexibility. It’s only a bit more expensive than the 3 day Jungfrau VIP pass, and although the trip up the Jungfraujoch is not included, it may still be beneficial as it can be used on all days of your stay. Details on both passes, including purchase options, can be found on the pages I linked to. If you want to calculate which pass turns out cheapest, these guidelines may help.

Your hiking questions will be addressed in your other topic.

• The thread ‘Which is the best pass for 6 days in the Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.