Which is the better base ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 3:48:31 #806054

I will be staying in Lucerne( 3 nights), Interlaken (1 night), Murren ( 2 nights) and Zermatt ( 2nights)

We want to do Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. I believe Murren is probably the nearest base to get to this 2 mountains. But we only have 2 nights including the day we arrive. Is it too ambitious to do both given the time we have ? If not which would be the next nearest city that we can venture out from ? Interlaken ? Lucerne ?

Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 20:15:38 #838890

HI
    You can do both the Jungfrau and Schilthorn in one day. In my opinion it would be better to stay in Interlaken to do this.
    You would go Interlaken Ost – Grindelwald – Kleine Schidegg- Jungfraujoch – Kleine Schidegg – Lauterbrunnen – bus to Schilthornbahn – Schilthorn – Murren – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken

This way you get go up to the Jungfraujoch via Grindelwald and return via Lauterbrunnen

Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 23:37:25 #838891

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the insighful information.
    Appreciate it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2013 at 14:28:17 #838892

Dear Champ

If you have not yet decided which is your base town in bernese oberland and not yet booked your hotel, could i say something. Mürren is car free village. Most often you can not hang out outside Mürren in the evening time after 6PM.
    Lauterbrunnen is a wonderful place in deed, eventhough it has limited hotel choises. One word to say is HEAVEN. Hotel Staubach Lauterbrunnen was a wonderful stay in this heaven. It is bit expensive but worth the stay. A room with mountain view and balcony in upper floors is the best deal. not other rooms are having best views. If it is within your budget, just check it out.
    best regards
    dhivya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2013 at 21:20:19 #838893

Hi Dhivya

Thanks for your suggestion. I will check that out later.

May I know why we cannot hang out after 6pm in Murren ?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 0:18:58 #838894

Hi Champ

Well. I have mentioned. since Mürren is car free and is on cliff, it has limited connected with other villages by Gondola ride from Stechelberg downside and Train from Grütschalp that too on cliff and connected with lauterbrunnen by Gondola. If night life is not an issue, Mürren is wonderful option. For this reason i omitted this fantastic village while i was traveling.

there are two ways to get to Mürren:
    1. Take the cable car up from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp, then the train from Grutschalp to Murren.
    2. Take the bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg station, then the gondola up to Murren from there. This is the same gondola that then continues on to Schilthorn.
    The last regular cable car from Stechelberg to Mürren seems to leave at 18.03h. but there’s an additional late night service leaving at 23.45h as well. This connects to the latest bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, which runs between 23.28h and 23.40h. The connections can be found through the general SBB timetable.
    The last transport from Lauterbrunnen to Murren (cable car to Grutschalp, train to Murren) is 8:31 pm. This may be earlier as 7.31pm. Just check it out i am not sure.
    However, the latest cable car (Gondola) up from Stechelberg (Stechelberg Schilthornbahn) runs as late as 11:45 pm. The last bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg departs at 11:28 pm and arrives at 11:40 pm.
    You just make a plan accordingly with your interest
    you can indeed get up to Mürren the one way and down again the other way, making a round trip. The trip via Grütschalp by cable car and train costs CHF 10.20 per person. A bus trip from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg costs CHF 4.00, and the cable car ride up to Mürren from Stechelberg is CHF 10.20

Following four easy hiking trials are definitely worth to do.
    1. Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg,
    2. First to Bachalpsee round trip,
    3. Grütshalp to Mürren,
    4. Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg
    5. Trummelbuch falls
    6. Gondola ride from stechelberg to murren

these are must to do in bernese oberland

Have a nice Journey
    dhivya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 1:37:54 #838895

Hi Dhivya,

Thanks so much for the clarification and the time expended to reply to this query.
    It has been more helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2013 at 10:53:07 #838896

Hi Dhivya,

I’m new in this forum and have similar questions:

My husband and I plan to leave from Zurich on July 14 around noon. We have following plan

– leave from Zurich airport at noon, take train to Fiescheralp, stay in a hotel for one night;

– On July 15 take Aletsch Glacier hike then take train to Lauterbrunnen, we plan to stay for

three nights in that area.

– leave on July 18 for Zurich, and stay near Zurich airport for one night.

1) Do you have any suggestions on where to stay near Fiescheralp? As I understand, we will be in

Bettmeralp when we finish the hike. Where should we leave our luggages?

2) Should we stay all three nights in Lauterbrunnen or spent one night at interlaken?

This is our first time in Switzerland.

Many Thanks for your help.

Lin

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2013 at 19:36:11 #838897

Hi Lin

Welcome to the forum. I feel sorry as i can not clear your 1st query. Because i haven’t been to Wallis. But you can very well ask the same to moderators Annika and Arno by starting a new forum with new topic. They will guide you for the same. As per rule you are not supposed to ask queries in different other topics.

As far as 2nd one “Should we stay all three nights in Lauterbrunnen or spent one night at interlaken? “

Ya it would be better to stay in one place i.e in lauterbrunnen. It is a nice choice. By this way you can get rid of packing and unpacking inbetween.
    But unlike Interlaken, lauterbrunnen has limited choice of hotels and restaurants, very few (say 1 or 2) pubs, clubs. If you are very particular about this, go for interlaken.
    Otherwise lauterbrunnen is best. If i were you i would stay for all in lauterbrunnen. Only word to say is peace.

Hotel Staubach Lauterbrunnen is wonderful stay very near to Staubach falls. It is bit expensive but worth the stay. A room with mountain and falls view and balcony in upper floors is the best deal. not other rooms are having best views. If it is within your budget, just check it out. Tasty breakfast with panaromic glass windows adds greatness to this hotel.

Also refer my other messages to know what to do in bernese oberland

I wish you a safe & happy journey
    best regards
    dhivya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2013 at 18:01:23 #838898

We are visiting the first two weeks in September this year and will spend most of our time (8 nights) in Wengen. Will do lot’s of day hikes and will take some day trips, what are the best recommendations? Also, staying at Hotel Edlewiess…any comments on previous experiences there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2013 at 5:47:36 #838899

Hi bmripple1

You have chosen nice place and nice time to visit swiss. I too had a similar trip in september 2011. Just look at your Private messege in your myswissalp account. I have sent you a message to your private inbox. I am sure you will get answer for all of your queries.
    Wish you a happy safe journey
    dhivya

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 June 2013 at 6:48:48 #838900

Hello bmripple1,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! To increase the chance of useful answers I would recommend to open a topic of your own, as explained in the forum rules.

• The thread ‘Which is the better base ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.