Which Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2013 at 7:48:32 #806042

My wife and I will be flying into Geneva and immediately traveling by train to Lausanne for one night. Then onto Murren for two, followed by Luzern for another two. We fly out of Zurich early so we will have to stay near the airport for another night. Question is is it better to buy the 4 day Swiss Pass or the Half Price Pass? I know you have to do the math and on the train to the main train stations it looks pretty even. But the cable rides and little transfer trains I think tip it to the Swiss Pass. Also that seems more convenient since you just get on an go. I know I will have to pay full price to Lausanne and Zurich. It can be confusing which way is most economical.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Steve

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    7 June 2013 at 3:57:36 #838840

Hi Steve! You’re right, only exact calculations will tell which pass is most economical. For example, I don’t know about your plans in Mürren and Luzern. Details such as whether or not you plan to make a boat trip, or get up to the Jungfraujoch, may make the difference. If you’re not entirely sure what day trips you’ll be making, other criteria should help you decide. A 4 day Swiss Saver Pass offers maximum flexibility during its validity: you can get wherever you want and you’ll only have to buy additional discounted tickets for mountain transportation. Additionally, Geneva-Lausanne costs CHF 21.80 per person and Luzern-Zurich Airport CHF 28.00.

The Swiss Half Fare Card allows you to buy 50% discounted tickets for all trips. That’s an easy concept that appeals to some travelers, but not to all, as you have to buy a ticket for each trip. Making a detour or change the route while traveling isn’t possible.

Hotels close to Zurich Airport can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2013 at 8:26:45 #838841

Thank you. Yes, I will be using the cable cars while in Murren and also take a boat ride while in Luzern. I was planning to buy my train tickets and passes at the train station. Save the delivery costs. Good idea? I am leaning toward the 4 day Swiss Pass.

Steve

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 June 2013 at 13:55:02 #838842

Hi Steve,

You’d best check the price on the pages Annika gave you. Delivery costs do not apply in all cases, and due to exchange rates and promotions you can save money by either buying online or in Switzerland. It depends on several factors. You can find the best option by selecting your country, pass and number of travelers on those pages.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Which Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.