Which pass for 7 nights in Lucerne and Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 7:58:15 #811576

I think I understand correctly that I need to purchase the Swiss rail pass but I want to make sure before I make the purchase! Here is my Switzerland Itinerary.. Arrive in Zurich, Train to Lucerne and stay there for 4 nights. While in Lucerne we plan to travel to Mt. Rigi, Titlis, or Pilatus (maybe two of them) and possibly take a boat trip on one of the lakes. After Lucerne we travel to Wengen for 3 nights. While in Wengen we plan to visit Schilthorn, maybe kayak Lake Brieze. From Wengen we head to Florence! Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me!

Danielle

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    27 April 2017 at 14:02:04 #862336

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Danielle!

Yes, this sure sounds like an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is a perfect fit. It will cover regular trains, buses and boat trips, as well as Rigi and Pilatus. Other mountain transportation is discounted. Please find coverage details at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity and retailers at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. Assuming your Swiss Travel Pass is still valid during your outbound trip to Italy, you’ll be covered as far as Domodossola, so you need an additional ticket Domodossola-Florence: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 22:59:53 #862337

It helped me by breaking it down into days, not nights. Depending on the type of pass (tell pass, bernese oberland, STP etc…) and how many days you buy, the per-day cost can be around $50-70 per day. So perhaps your first day is just taking the train from the airport to Lucerne and no other travel, might not be worth it that day. Also, on the train to Florence, if you can commit to a specific train, you can often get advance-purchase deals on the fast trains (we got Spiez to Milan for $25 on trenitalia website). We are spending 2 full days in Lucerne and 4 full days in Wengen and decided on the 1/2 pass + the 4 day Bernese Oberland Regional Pass since we wanted maximum coverage for all the mountain transport around Wengen etc… The STP doesn’t cover many of the mountain cable cars in the wengen area, but the BO pass does. And the BO pass gets us down from Lucerne. FYI, attached is the Wengen area map showing what the BO pass for free and the STP covers for free.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 23:43:19 #862338

Also, if you buy the 1/2 price card ($120), you have the ability to buy a day-pass. The bargain of this type is the “9 o’clock travelpass” which gives you a full day of travel on the full network M-F so long as you leave after 9 am. If you leave early, just buy a ticket to the stop where you will be at 9am and then free from then on. You can buy a 6-pack of day passes for $48 a day.

• The thread ‘Which pass for 7 nights in Lucerne and Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.