Which pass best for this 3 day stay in Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 9:02:52 #807631

Hi all,

I am visiting Switzerland next month with my partner. We are both 23 years old. Over 3 days, we will be travelling from Geneva airport to Interlaken, going to the Schilthorn and going to the Jungfraujoch. Please could you advise which train pass would be best? I was going to get a 3 day Swiss card but have then read that Swiss half fare cards offer better discounts on the 2 mountain excursions. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 July 2015 at 14:09:59 #844763

Hello ljacbos, thank you for joining MySwissAlps.com!

I’m not quite sure which pass you’re referring to with a ‘3 day Swiss Card’. There used to be a Swiss Card, and it offered the exact same discounts on the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn as the Swiss Half Fare Card, but that one no longer exists. Maybe you’re referring to a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass instead? The main differences with the Swiss Half Fare Card for your mountain trips are:

• that for the Jungfraujoch trip, the Swiss Travel Pass grants free traveling up to Wengen/Grindelwald, and a 25% discount on the remaining part to the, whereas the Swiss Half Fare Card gives 50% off for the entire route
    • that for the Schilthorn trip, the Swiss Travel Pass allows free traveling as far as Muerren and 50% discount for the remaining part, whereas the Swiss Half Fare Card again gives 50% off the entire trip.

Please check the Swiss Travel Pass validity page and the Swiss Half Fare Card validity page for details.

Which pass suits your plans best, depends on a number of factors. If you want to have the freedom to explore larger areas, or to make scenic train or boat journeys as a back-up plan in case weather is too bad to get up to the Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch, a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass would be very convenient. Another advantage is that you don’t have to buy additional discounted tickets for regular train and boat trips. If you’re sure you want to focus on the Jungfrau region, and if you’ll mainly be making shorter tips once you’re there, a Swiss Half Fare Card is a good solution. You can calculate which pass is most economical following this guide.

I hope this helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 19:43:40 #844764

Thank you very much for your advice. I have decided to go for the 3 day pass. Can’t wait!

• The thread ‘Which pass best for this 3 day stay in Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.