Which pass (if any?) 2 adults and 10 yr. old

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2017 at 18:11:22 #810523

Salzburg to Lauterbrunnen train is already paid for..so what would be left would be Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne (1 day in Lucerne going on a boatride and possibily (but probably not because of already spending 3 days in the Swiss Alps) going up a mountain – Rigi or Pilatus)…

In Lauterbrunnen, this is what we are planning…. ride up to Grutshalp. train to Muerren ride. Walk through Muerren. take the cable car up to the top of the Schilthorn . and maybe have lunch (if it is required) train to Gimmelwald, then ride the cable car down to Stechelberg. At the Stechelberg cable car station, take the bus back to the Lauterbrunnen train station.

On the second day, I belive we will go back to Murren and spend more time and then head back to Lauterbrunnen using the same transport mentioned above.

Should we get a certain pass or pay as we go? What do you think?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 January 2017 at 19:46:44 #857828

Hi cos24,

Thanks for your post! If you need a pass, the Swiss Half Fare Card is most likely to be your best bet. But you will need to do the math to be sure. Whether you visit a mountain near Lucerne might make a difference, and also where you go after your stay.

The links provide many more details. Let us know if you need more help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2017 at 20:59:05 #857829

Thanks for the info. I think I have just about all the math done. The only thing I’m having trouble finding is the price of a 45 minute or so boat ride on Lucerne Lake and I assume the cost of the train ride back to Lucerne from Weggis. I got lost on their website trying to figure things out so if you’re able to just give me a rough idea of the cost of the boat ride and train back 2 lucern that would be great and help me finalize my cost comparison.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2017 at 22:41:25 #857830

Also, is the train from Lucerne to the Zurich airport included with the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass?

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 January 2017 at 8:14:05 #857831

Hi cos24,

A one way boat ticket from Lucerne to Weggis costs CHF 19.60. There is no train station in Weggis. The bus to Küssnacht am Rigi, then the train to Lucerne costs CHF 10.40.

The train to Zurich airport is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. The boats and buses mentioned above are free as well, and the train all the way to Mount Rigi too if you consider that. You can find the coverage map here: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2017 at 12:03:05 #857832

Thank you for the helpful info. The bus that you mention at Küssnacht am Rigi, to Lucerne, about how long should I budget for that bus ride?

If I leave directly from Küssnacht am Rigi, to Zurich? Would that save me time ?

Are you allowed to bring backpacks on the boat ride?

The bus that you mentioned to Küssnacht am Rigi, does that take you to the train to Mount Rigi or is Rigi in Weggis?

Sorry for all the questions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 January 2017 at 13:05:53 #857833

Hi cos24,

The Mount Rigi page I linked to in my previous post has a map with all the details: trains to the summit depart from Arth-Goldau and Vitznau (the boat goes there as well).

For public transport schedules you’d best check the timetable and fill out your actual destination. If it’s Zurich, it will show you how to get there from Weggis.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2017 at 15:25:18 #857834

Ok, thanks, do you know the answer to the question about the backpacks?

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 January 2017 at 16:50:43 #857835

No problem with backpacks, many tourists carry them. Sorry for missing that!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2017 at 18:45:48 #857836

thank thank you. I have reviewed the website and also taking a look at the locations of everything on Google Maps. You had said in a previous post that trains to the summit depart from Arth-Goldau and Vitznau (the boat goes there as well).

Rather than taking the boat to Weggis. It seems like it would be easier to get to Mount Rigi by taking the boat to Vitznau? Would that we correct? Is that what people normally do?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2017 at 19:18:40 #857837

I leave Lauterbrunnen on Thursday, June 1 at 7am but if my plan (not necessarily on this otder) is to spend a couple of hours in Lucerne, take a 1 hr. boat ride, and the rest of the day at Mt.Rigi, knowing that I have to be at the Zurich airport at 20.00 pm , how would you structure my day if you were me? In what order…

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 January 2017 at 10:02:36 #857838

Hi cos24,

I would visit Lucerne first, unless the weather forecast for the afternoon was worse. Then take the boat to Vitznau and the train up the mountain from there. Take the train down to Arth-Goldau and travel to Zurich airport from there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2017 at 10:57:53 #857839

I’ll do that. Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2017 at 15:02:24 #857840

“I would visit Lucerne first, unless the weather forecast for the afternoon was worse. Then take the boat to Vitznau and the train up the mountain from there. Take the train down to Arth-Goldau and travel to Zurich airport from there.”

i love your suggestion above, but if we get tired of carrying our backpacks, where would you advise we leave them?

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 January 2017 at 15:07:05 #857841

Hi cos24,

I would send my luggage ahead to the airport and travel light that day: myswissalps.com/train/ practical/luggage. Another option is to store it at the station in Lucerne, but that would mean you need to travel via Lucerne on the way to Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2017 at 15:57:19 #857842

Thanks. I just checked out the pricing on the website. Is it unusual for someone to go on the Mount Rigi trip with a backpack a small rolling suitcase?

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 January 2017 at 18:24:29 #857843

Most people do travel light during mountain trips as it enables them to do a short walk on the top or along the way. But if you prefer to bring your luggage you can do so.

• The thread ‘Which pass (if any?) 2 adults and 10 yr. old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.