Which pass should I get?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2012 at 15:38:06 #805606

Hi all,

MY husband and I will be travelling in Switzerland from 3-8th Oct 2012.

Here’s our plan:
    3rd Oct : Milan – Domodosoola — Interlaken
    4 Oct : Jungfraujoch
    5 Oct : Zurich
    6 Oct : Lucerne ( going to mount pilatus, and probably Mount riggi)
    7 – 8 Oct: staying in Zurich

As I have been staying in Switzerland, I’m holding a Half pass, but he is a tourist here.

Could you please advise what pass should we buy for my husband? is the 2 for 1 promotion applicable?

Or should we just buy point to point tickets?

Appreciate your help!

Cheers

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 September 2012 at 4:02:27 #837159

Hi piglet! Since you’re traveling in October, the 2 for 1 deal is applicable indeed (as long as you’re not a Swiss resident). This is a bit more expensive than a Swiss Half Fare Card for one person, but it does offer a lot more in terms of free traveling. You could choose the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass for October 3 to 6 and use a Zurich Card for the two remaining days in Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2012 at 17:43:51 #837160

Hi,

Thanks for your response!
    How much do I have to pay then? CHf 206 in total? Can I buy at the station or only through your website?

What do you mean that it’s more expensive the half pass? Should my husband get a 1 month Half pass then? OR should he get a point to point ticket?

Thanks!

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 September 2012 at 10:03:52 #837161

Hi piglet. Purchase prices can be found if you fill out the right information at the Swiss Pass page. I mean that the 2 for 1 pass for 2 people is more expensive than a Swiss Half Fare Card for 1 person, but the 2 for 1 Swiss Pass allows both of you to travel for free during 4 days, whereas the Swiss Half Fare Card allows discounted traveling only. Even the Rigi would be for free with a Swiss Pass. So despite the price difference, the 2 for 1 Swiss Pass may in all be a more economical deal. You can calculate though to find out for sure. Point to point tickets wouldn’t be economical at all. Purchase options are also listed at the page I mentioned. As far as we know, the 2 for 1 pass should be purchased online.

If you choose to get the Swiss Pass, note that you can best use your Half Fare Card for the trip to the Jungfraujoch (50% discounted with a Half Fare Card, 25% with a Swiss Pass). Your husband can use the Swiss Pass for this trip too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2012 at 18:38:08 #837162

Hi Arno,
    I would like to confirm that with Swiss Pass, taking cable up to Mount Riggi is free? How about Mount Tiltis and Mount Pilatus? Is the boat ride around Lake Lucerne free with Swiss Pass as well?
    Thanks

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 September 2012 at 6:28:50 #837163

Hello piglet. The Swiss pass grants free traveling to the Rigi and at lake Lucerne. Titlis and Pilatus are discounted by 50%. Please review the downloadable validity map at the Swiss Pass page for all details.

• The thread ‘Which pass should I get?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.