Which pass should I get for this 1 month trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2016 at 13:43:00 #810483

Hi I will be in switzerland for 1 month , the first 3 weeks I would be free to travel around on the weekends only. I will be based in Le Chenit for the first 3 weeks, and would like to travel to geneva or biel on the weekends. What kind of pass should i get for this type of travelling ?

On the 4th week of the trip I will be taking a 5 days leisure trip, I will be at lucerne and going to interlaken west ( base camp) and would like to take the first class carriage because of the luggage on friday.

on saturday and sunday I will be going to Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch

on monday and tuesday i will be going to Biel

on wenesday I will be going to zurich airport ( need first class for luggage)

Based on this scenario, what type of pass should I get ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 December 2016 at 15:08:37 #857598

Hi BrianBrian,

One option would be to just use a Swiss Half Fare Card for the entire month. Alternatively, you can consider a Swiss Travel Pass Flex for the first 3 weeks and a Swiss Travel Pass for the last part. Doing the maths will reveal how it works out price wise.

You can buy a first class pass, but you can also buy a cheaper second class pass and buy an upgrade ticket for occasional rides if you like. Also you can have your luggage transported, so there is no need to travel in first class just for the luggage.

The included links provide all additional details you need to know about.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2016 at 8:38:48 #857599

Hi Arno, thanks. One last question, if I would to book a first class 6pm ride but realized I couldn’t make it for the 6pm ride. Would i be able to still board the 7pm ride with the same ticket without any penalty ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 December 2016 at 9:50:35 #857600

Hi BrainBrian,

You don’t book specific trains in Switzerland. The standard tickets are valid for a day and a route. Which train you take is up to you. And with a pass you don’t even need a ticket and you can just board any train, anywhere. Of course there are exceptions to this rule 🙂 Here they are:

• A few scenic trains require a seat reservation, and these are valid for one train only;
    • Supersaver tickets are for one specific train, and non-refundable. Usually not recommended unless you’re 100% sure you’ll take that train;
    • In some regions a single ride ticket is valid for a limited time frame, usually 2 hours, as printed on the ticket. Within that time frame you can take any train.
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 December 2016 at 23:06:06 #857601

Hi BrianBrian-

When are you travelingf? I ask because it might help offer suggestions for different things to see and do.

Although I have traveled frequently in Canton Jura, and enjoyed it, I cannot really suggest any “must see” things near Lac de Joux.

The towns along Lac Leman (Lake Geneva) are pleasant. Also, I might suggest a visit to Murten/Morat on a weekend.

Bern is within reach by public transportation. On a random Saturday in May, Geneva is 2 hrs and 13 minutes; Biel is 2 hours 15 to 2 hrs 18 minutes; Bern is 2 hrs 42 minutes to 3 hrs 5 minutes. Fribourg is 2 1/2 hours, more or less. The old town down by the river is nice. Try Restaurant au Sauvage.

I like it better than the much smaller but nice old town in Biel/Bienne. Just my opinion. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2017 at 2:48:54 #857602

Thanks Arno for the information and help, I couldn’t find the site to purchase just a 1-day first class rail pass. I am assuming that it can only be done in the train station ? For my case, because I am going to interlaken on friday evening and doing a free and easy tour for 7 days. It would make sense for me to get a 8-days 2nd class rail pass and upgrade to first class on the 2 days where I needed to shift my luggage to interlaken and to the airport ? I prefer to have my luggage around me because all my clothes are in it.

Hi Slowpoke, I am travelling in middle of January to early February.

What are the must see things in Lake geneva, murten/morat on a winter weekend ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 January 2017 at 7:02:36 #857603

Hi BrianBrian,

There is no 1-day pass, except for owners of a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can buy it online or at the station. As for the other passes: yes, you can always upgrade to 1st class for occasionalrides if you like.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 January 2017 at 16:14:44 #857604

Hi Brianbrian:

<<“What are the must see things in Lake geneva, murten/morat on a winter weekend ?”>>

As far as I am concerned, there are no “must see” things in the area. I mentioned Morat/Murten because I find it more interesting than Biel/Bienne. The old town retains its medieval walls ( you can walk the walls) and is larger than the old town in Biel. The location on the lake is nice. Plenty of restaurants. Plenty of tourists. Even in winter.

If you are interested in military history, go up on Mt. Vully, across the lake from Murten. Public transport is limited, however. Cold and windy up theree, but it was a military watch tower from prehistoric times to the present. The location gives good views of the best north-south migration routes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Mont_Vully

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Fortifications_de_Mora t

The attached two images are of a sign on top of Mt. Vully, describing the fortifications. Some of the concrete fortifications are still exposed.

Sorry. no English, but the maps are self explanatory. There is also a partial reproduction of a Helvetic fortified camp from a couple of thousand years ago.

My own “do not miss” is a night and a meal at Hotel del’Ours, in Sugiez (Bas Vully) and enjoyment of a local wine from their extensive wine list. The vineyards of Monsieur Simonet produce particularly good wines. His store is on the main road in bas Vully.

Slowpoke

http://www.hotel-ours.ch/fr/

• The thread ‘Which pass should I get for this 1 month trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.