Which pass to buy for Zurich – Davos – Zurich?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 4:40:43 #809441

we arrive Zurich on a Wednesday evening and overnight at an airport hotel.

Thursday morning we travel to Davos where we stay till Sunday.

we depart Zurich airport Sunday night.

in the Davos area we will stay put on Saturday; this means we have three travel days by rail.

we will want to visit St Moritz and ascend a mountain or two by cable car.

a boat ride on a lake would be nice too.

should we purchase the 50% pass? in Davos, with our hotel, we have free rail pass. it is unclear just what is not covered with this.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    14 June 2016 at 5:07:00 #853079

Hi ericz,

Details of the Davos Klosters Card can be found here: http://www.davos.ch/en/summer /activities/davos-klosters-inclusive/. It only includes traveling between Klosters and Filisur. Whether purchasing another pass is worth it can be calculated as explained here. I would say that the Swiss Half Fare Card and graubündenPASS are worth your consideration.

You could do a boat trip on Lake Zurich Thursday morning, e.g. from Zurich to Rapperswil, and continue to Davos from there. There are no larger lakes around Davos.

You can find airport hotels here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zu richairporthotels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 5:30:02 #853080

Thank you. From Davos if I want to travel to Zurich Airport via Lucerne, to where may we take the train to catch a boat to Lucerne?

Annika
    7103 posts
    14 June 2016 at 6:13:09 #853081

Hi ericz,

You can board a boat in Flüelen or Brunnen, for example. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 6:16:46 #853082

the train i found to fluelen from davos is via zurich? over 3 hours? i hope there is a better route. 🙂

Annika
    7103 posts
    14 June 2016 at 6:28:09 #853083

Hi ericz,

Yes, that’s correct. Lake Lucerne is not on the way from Davos to Zurich, so you will have to make a detour to include it. The quickest route is either via Zurich or Thalwil/Zug (near Zurich as well).

You can travel via Andermatt, which is a wonderful route, but it will take much longer. If you don’t have that much time you can include Lake Zurich as suggested in my first post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 7:48:48 #853084

will a 3-day train pass include the glacier express?

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 June 2016 at 8:40:08 #853085

If you mean the 3-day Swiss Travel Pass, then yes, the Glacier Express is included (apart from seat reservations). Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

• The thread ‘Which pass to buy for Zurich – Davos – Zurich?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.