Print this page

$50 discount if you buy your Swiss Pass online

Get $50 off any Swiss Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass order. More information:
raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/swiss-pass

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 3, 2010 - 6:26 AM
Hello, I just booked my tour to Switzerland. France, Italy and Germany will be on our program as well. I'm trying to find out which pass is most economical for me. The Eurail Select Pass for 4 countries would cover most train travelling in Switzerland, am I correct? We will be staying there for 14 days though and we want to explore lots of the country. We would need urban transportation and many mountain lifts (for example: Weisshorn at Arosa, Piz Nair at St. Moritz, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn and Pilatus). Are they included in the Eurail Pass (the Swiss Pass does seem to cover most of these trips)? We also plan a post bus tour over 4 mountain passes from Meiringen. So which pass should I choose?

Thank you for any help you may offer.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 3, 2010 - 8:56 AM
Confusing to pick the right one, isn't is? My first guess would be that you would need a Swiss Pass for the Swiss part of you trip, it seems to cover more than the Eurail Select Pass. You could buy a 3 day select pass for the remaing countries. Am I right?
Annika (moderator)
Annika
2522 posts
Apr 3, 2010 - 10:59 AM
Hello Edna, welcome to our forum. I would agree with Jules, as the Swiss Pass offers more free travelling and/or discounts for the trips you mention than the Eurail Select Pass. For example, urban transportation in many cities is included in the Swiss Pass, but it is not in the Eurail Select Pass. There are more discounts for the mountain transportation trips you mention with a Swiss Pass (for example, the Schilthorn isn't included in the Eurail Select Pass at all). Bus transportation isn't covered by the Eurail Select Pass, but is by the Swiss Pass. (Please note though that you should pay a reservation fee for such a post bus tour, the so-called 'Alpine Ticket'. More information, including online reservation options, is available at www.postauto.ch.) Over all, the Eurail Select Pass is suited for a rather superficial exploration of the country, but as you have detailed travel plans I would recommend that you consider a 15 day Swiss Pass.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 4, 2010 - 9:55 AM
Thank you for all this. I didn't know about that Alpine Ticket, it seems wise to reserve seats in advance, is that correct?
Annika (moderator)
Annika
2522 posts
Apr 4, 2010 - 10:48 AM
This depends on the season of your travel. In high season post bus trips may be a bit crowded, but in general there are enough seats left if you book a few days in advance (please visit a local railway station for more information.) If you want to be absolutely sure though, booking well in advance is a good option.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

Planning your trips by Swiss rail

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel experts create a free customized itinerary for you. If you like their suggestion they can arrange for your trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2014