Which pass when renting a car?

Which pass when renting a car?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
adunham
adunham
7 posts
May 31, 2016 - 6:05 PM

Hello,

We are a family of 5 - 2 parents, 1 grandparent and 2 kids under age 3. We're renting a car and traveling through Switzerland 12 June - 29 June. Our itinerary is below. It sounds like a 3 or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass would be best for our time in Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen, do you agree? Any other suggestions?

12-14 Stein am Rhein

14- 16 Lucerne (including trip to Rigi)

16-20 Lauterbrunnen with day trips to surrounding towns, (No trips to peaks as we're traveling with an infant)

20 - 24 Escholzmatt Farm with day trips in Emmental

24 - 29 Zurich (Dropping car on 24 and will use public transport)

Thanks so much!

Angela

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
May 31, 2016 - 7:33 PM

Hi Angela,

If you're not using the car these days you could very well be right. In most cases, drivers pick a Swiss Half Fare Card because it's valid for a month and suitable for shorter trips like cable cars, boats, etc., while doing long distances by car. Please see:

You can visit peaks with an infant, just not the ones over about 2500 m. Unless your pediatrician says otherwise of course. Schynige Platte for example, is a wonderful trip and just over 2000 m. It's free with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Last modified on May 31, 2016 - 7:34 PM by Arno
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2656 posts
expert
May 31, 2016 - 10:44 PM in reply to adunham

Hi Angela-

Do you know the Emmental?

Will you do any walking or hikng, admittedly difficult with 2 children under 3?

I have stayed all over the Emmental, but usually to the east of Escholzmatt.

Trubschachen, Langnau i.E., Grosshöchstetten, Konolfingen, Burgdorf, Affoltern i. E.,

Kaltacker, Huttwil, Lüdernalp, Sumiswald, Dürrenroth, Goldbach....those are the ones I can remember.

Did you have anything specific in mind?

When I want to visit the Ostschweiz, I stay in Steckborn or St. Gallen, but stayed once in Stein am Rhein and enjoyed it.

Slowpoke

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016