Which rail passes are best for Lauterbrunnen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2015 at 3:02:48 #807872

Hello, I m going to be in Geneva in May 2016 with my husband and kids 7 and 10, then heading to Lauterbrunnen on May 13 – 20. While we are there we’d like to do the Jungfrau excursion. It is also possible we’d visit Interlaken. After Lauterbrunnen we are taking a train to Zurich and flying out on May 21. Also, any tips for must-see sights in the area would be appreciated.

What’s the best way to get to Lauterbrunnen from Geneva and from Lauterbrunnen to Zurich? I really want all the transportation to be paid for before we go. Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 September 2015 at 15:04:07 #845915

Thanks for your post SBrom!

There are two passes to look into:

• Swiss Travel Pass: trains in the entire country are included, as well as boat trips, museums and a few cable cars (e.g. to Mürren). Further cable cars and cogwheel trains are discounted, so you need tickets there.
    • Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland: lots of regional transportation is included, but you do need tickets from Geneva and to Zurich.

What do you mean by the best way to reach Lauterbrunnen? The best mode of transport in my opinion would be the train, but there are various routes. The most scenic one, although it takes longer, is via Montreux: the Golden Pass route. There’s a quicker route via Bern.

These pages will help you organize and find things to do:

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2015 at 15:58:48 #845916

Yes, this does help; thank you. If I get the Swiss Travel Pass, do I also need to purchase passes for my kids (ages 7 adn 10) or do I get a Family Pass or both? Also, I like the idea of taking the Golden Pass route, is this included in the Swiss Pass or is that different? Thanks again for your helpful advice.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 September 2015 at 17:23:23 #845917

Hi SBrom,

The Golden Pass line is included in the Swiss Travel Pass, and so are all other train routes. Please see the “Where it’s valid” section of the Swiss Travel Pass page for details.

You only need a free Swiss Family Card for the kids. You can order it along with your pass. It’s too early to order it now, but you can keep an eye on the “Price” and “Discounts” section of the Swiss Travel Pass page for the latest prices and promotions, if any.

• The thread ‘Which rail passes are best for Lauterbrunnen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.