Which Rail Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2011 at 12:30:11 #804092

My husband and I will be in Switzerland from May 25th until June 7th. Our itinerary is as follows:
    Zurich – 1 night
    Geneva – 3 nights
    Berne – 3 nights
    Grindelwald 3 nights
    Lucerne – 3nights and then return to Zurich to fly home.

We will be taking various day trips from the different cities that we will be based. Please advise which rail pass would best suit our needs for traveling to the various cities and taking trips from the cities.

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Debbi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 January 2011 at 6:21:17 #832100

Hi Debbi, and welcome! A 15 day Swiss Saver Pass would be the most convenient solution. It allows free travel in all regular trains, buses and boats, so you won’t have to purchase any additional tickets for most of your trips. All trips in between the cities will be for free, and so will most of your trips from the cities be. Urban transportation in Zurich, Geneva, Bern and Lucerne is included as well. Only mountain transportation, such as cable cars and mountain trains, requires additional discounted tickets. And if you would choose to make us of special panoramic trains (such as the Golden Pass Panoramic via Gstaad and Zweisimmen, which could be used for your trip from Geneva to Bern), you will have to reserve seats in advance. More details, including a map showing the exact area of validity, can be found at our Swiss Pass page.

Calculations, based on a list of your exact travel plans, would have to prove whether a 15 day Swiss Saver Pass is the most economical solution as well. A Swiss Half Fare Card might turn out to be a bit cheaper, but this pass does require you to buy discounted ticket for each trip.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2011 at 8:19:51 #832101

Thanks so much, Annika. I appreciate the quick response.

• The thread ‘Which Rail Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.