Which Rail Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2013 at 21:02:47 #805769

We are a group of 4 adults who will be visiting Switzerland in September 2013. We will be staying in Murren for 3 nights and will have a car so i will not need rail transportation from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen. While we are there 2 of us would like to do the Jungfraujoch as well as the Schilthorn. We may also visit First. We will be spending 1 night in Zermatt and plan to take one of the Excursuions to get views of the Matterhorn. Which rail pass would work best for us remembering we will also need it just to go back and forth to Murren?

Which pass would work best for the other couple who does not want to do Jungfraujoch but would be doing everything else?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    31 January 2013 at 11:09:48 #837970

Hi eyedoc! If you only need a pass for regional trips, and one longer trip to Zermatt, I think the Swiss Half Fare Card would be best. This would work for both couples. You can buy 50% discounted tickets for all rail trips and mountain transportation. Please find all details at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

It may be wise not to purchase your pass yet: your plans might change and attractive (online) offers may come along before September 2013. You can keep an eye on our rail forum; your account settings allow you to be notified about new posts and/or to subscribe to the newsletter. This way you’ll be updated on offers as soon as they come available.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2013 at 12:23:54 #837971

Thanks Arno! After researching more myself that was the decision I had come up with too but it sure helps to have someone confirm it. I will definitely take your advice on waiting to see if any good deals come along too. This whole rail system can be a bit confusing when you come from an area that doesn’t have rail or subway.

• The thread ‘Which Rail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.