Which rail pass I should buy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2012 at 15:16:28 #805718

Hello,

We are a group of 6 people travelling to Swizterland for from 27 Dec to 1 Jan.

I am so confused with so many different swiss rail passes and options and coupons. Which would be best for us? Is there any way some one can suggest us where we can get the best deal for swiss rail? We also plan to take glacier express train too.

We have planned our trip following way. Can you please suggest which would be best rail pass for us? We can change plan a bit if we are getting good deals on tickets as they are so expensive.

27 Dec – roam in Zurich – go to Lucerne for night stay
    28 Dec – Spend day in Lucerne and go to Take train to Mt Titlis and come back to Lucerne
    29 Dec – Go to Berne and after sightseeing go to Interlaken for night stay
    30 Dec – Interlaken – Train to Jungfrau Sightseeing Jungfrau / Zarmatt

31 Dec – From Zermatt Glacier express to Chur – Go back to Zurich after Sightseeing Glacier Express / Chur

Snehal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    15 December 2012 at 4:42:06 #837833

Hello Snehal,

I recommend the following:

• A regular ticket Zurich – Lucerne, to be purchased in Zurich.
    • A 4-day Swiss Saver Pass for free traveling from 28 to 31 December. The Titlis will be discounted by 50%, the Jungfrau by 25%.
    • A seat reservation for the Glacier Express.

The Swiss Pass page I linked to provides an overview of all resellers, so you can easily take your pick there. Please don’t forget to select your country of residence and number of travelers for a customized overview of purchase options. You’ll see that buying the pass online is the cheapest option. Please check the delivery timeframes listed there as you’re getting close to your departure date and not every reseller will be able to deliver on short notice.

Depending on your plans in Zurich on December 27, you may be interested in the Zurich Card for free local transport, museums and more. In that case you’ll get a small discount when you buy your ticket Zurich – Lucerne as well.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Which rail pass I should buy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.