Which rail pass is best for me?

• Shundus
    Participant
    4 posts
    12 July 2014 at 3:08:49 #806506

Hi..

I am planning my journey to Switzerland on 22 August till 30 August..first five days for Switzerland and remaining 3 days in Paris.can u tell me which rail pass would me perfect for my family..we 3 are ppl…1 adult 1 youth n 1 child 3 yr old..

my itenary

22 August -arrive Zurich airport..City tour ,nite stay in zurich

23 August – Zurich to lucern then golden round trip to MT Pilates..nite stay in lucern

24 august- trip to mt titles ..nite stay in luzern

25 august- lucern to interlaken ..City tour or boat/cruise ride on any lake ..nite stay in interlaken

26 August- trip to jungfroujouj..nite stay in interlaken

27 August – interlaken to Paris.

swiss pass or Swiss flexi pass? Can you tell me what is free n where I will get discounts…need your help please.thanx in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 July 2014 at 9:29:16 #840594

Hi Shundus,

I am thinking of two options to consider:

1. A Swiss Pass for the adult, plus a Swiss Youth Pass. The child will travel for free. Additionally, you need tickets from Interlaken to Paris.
    2. Two Swiss Half Fare Cards for the adult and youth. The child will travel for free. Additionally, you need tickets from the Swiss border (Basel) to Paris.

See the links for pass prices, where they’re valid, and more. This guide helps you choose.

Tickets to Paris can be found here, and this topic explains how to get the cheapest ones.

And don’t forget about the discount you can get on your passes and tickets!

Shundus
    Participant
    4 posts
    13 July 2014 at 21:40:59 #840595

Thankyou for your help.

I just calculated the price of 1 Swiss pass and 1 Swiss youth pass..total is 388€ after all discounts.

based on above,my questions are given below.

what is free in covering mt titles,Pilates and jungfroujoch?

-In titles my journey from my hotel to the starting point of cable car would be free? N cable car would b 50% off?

-In Plautus I will take a golden round trip.so from my hotel does cruise n train to Pilates would be free? N then coming back by cable car would b 50% off? N then again train to hotel would be free?

-in jungfroujoch train from hotel to interlaken Ost n then from there to grindlewald would b free? Then from grindlewald the cogwheel would b 50% off? N vise versa

-I would be taking a guided city tour in interlaken..will this card get me any discount? Or can I explore the city free from this pass?

-train from lucern to interlaken would be free? plus if I take a scenic train, that would also be free?

-is there any offers and further discounts on Swiss pass? Or any other website?

-it’s better to purchase these passes online or from the station once I reach there?

looking fwd for your reply..thanx in advance.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 July 2014 at 4:45:13 #840596

Hi Shundus,

You can best read the Swiss Pass page that Annika referred to. Click “Where it’s valid”, download the map, and you’ll see exactly where you can travel for free and discounted.

It’s better to buy online as that’s cheaper, see the promotions by clicking “Promotions” on the Swiss Pass page. And click “Price” for prices and an overview of purchase options.

• The thread ‘Which rail pass is best for me?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.