Which rail pass is good for me?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2015 at 13:48:54 #807573

I’m visiting Geneva,Ouchy, Montreux area for 5 days in August with my wife and our 8 month old son. Therefore planning to visit easy to access areas like Chillon, Rochers- de-Naye, Gstaad, Zweisimmen etc.

Can someone please advise if the ‘Regional Pass Lake Geneva – Alps’ will be the best option for us? if we choose day-2 to day4 as free days, can our trains to and from Geneva airport [for any destination in this area] on day-1 and day-5 be free? What about the fare of the child (8 month old)?

Also If I order the pass online, how /where to mention which are free days? Thanks for your help in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2015 at 14:52:39 #844552

Hi achel001,

Thanks for posting! That pass seems to fit your plans very well. Please see here for how it works. You can have 2 or 3 days of free traveling (not 5). You choose the free days as you go, not when you buy. When you buy you only need to pick the very first day of usage, and it’s up to you whether that’s a free day or a discounted day.

You don’t need to buy anything for children under 6 years old. From the UK, you can buy your adult passes through http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk/en/products/regi onalalpspass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2015 at 15:03:41 #844553

Many thanks Arno for detailed explanation and relevant links.

Just to be clear, if I don’t want to use my first day as free day, I have to pay 50% discounted fare to go to my destination from Geneva Airport.. and if I don’t buy any discounted ticket then it will be treated as free day.. right?

cheers.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2015 at 15:43:53 #844554

Basically that’s correct. You simply write the dates of your preferred free travel days in the designated areas on the pass. So if today’s date is on the pass, you don’t need to buy tickets.

• The thread ‘Which rail pass is good for me?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.