Which Rail pass to purchase?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2011 at 2:22:35 #804690

My partner and I will be visiting Switzerland for 5 days.
    Arriving to Lucern from Milan via Chiasso. And will have boat rides on Lake Lucern and visit Mt pilatus

Then will go to Interlaken for Jungfraujoch +/- Schilthorn via Murren
    And will be leaving to Paris for the rest of my tour around Europe.

Which Rail pass will u suggest?

Thank you.[u]
    [/u]

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 July 2011 at 9:12:41 #834176

Hello Lion22, and welcome! I think the Swiss Card is your best choice. It allows a free inbound trip (that is: Chiasso to Lucerne) and outbound trip (in your case: Interlaken to either Basel or Geneva (depending on your train connection to France)). Nearly all other trips during your stay, including Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn, are discounted by 50%. The Swiss Card page shows all details, including a map with the validity network, purchase options, and so on.

Hope this helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2011 at 17:47:39 #834177

How about a Swiss card OR a Eurail pass for Italy & Swiss?

As I am thinking of going around in Italy for 5 days as well.

Thanks so much.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 July 2011 at 4:30:17 #834178

Hi Lion. I don’t think that one of the Eurail Passes suits your needs for traveling in Switzerland better than the Swiss Card does. So I’d stick with the Swiss Card for your stay in Switzerland, and maybe select a separate rail pass for Italy and/or France. Which option is best, depends on your travel plans for those countries.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2011 at 7:43:40 #834179

Hi Annika

Thank you.

I am going to travel to Italy where I know that Eurail Italy pass is definitely needed.

My detailed trip in Swiss will be:

Day 1: Milan/ Chiasso to Luzern + Visit Luzern
    Day 2: Mt Pilatus ( CableCar Via Krienseregg & Frakmuntegg to Mt Pilatus; then return via Alpnachstad to Luzern)
    Day 3: To Interlaken
    Day 4: Jungfraujoch (Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen TO Jungfraujoch then back via Grindelwald to Interlaken)
    Day 5: Schilthorn ( Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn And then back via Murren to Interlaken)
    Day 6: Leave Interlaken to Paris via Geneva

I am still thinking hard about theEurail pass/ Swiss card/ Swiss Pass, which one is the best?

ANd also hope to hear any comments about this itinerary.

Thank you again.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 July 2011 at 13:06:12 #834180

Hi Lion22! Your itinerary looks fine. It’s not too full and you’ll get to visit some great viewing points. The timetable may be of further assistance for your planning. I still advise a Swiss Card for the Swiss portion of your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2011 at 2:24:29 #834181

HI Anika

Now I have purchased a Swiss card. And would like to know is it a must to reserve all the point-to point ticket by using my Swiss Card?
    and also on the last day of my travel from Interlaken to Geneva, I would like to go through Golden Pass rail, how do I do that?

Thank you.

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 August 2011 at 10:05:13 #834182

Hello Lion22. Nice to know that you’ve purchased your Swiss Card. No, most regular train routes in Switzerland don’t need any reservation. This only goes for special panoramic trains, such as the Golden Pass route. If you travel that route on your last day, that will count as your free outbound trip. That means that the trip itself will be for free, and you’ll only need to pay an extra reservation fee. Seats can be booked in advance through this page.

Other (discounted) tickets, to be used during the rest of your stay, can be bought at the railway station right before boarding.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2011 at 16:35:13 #834183

How about for my inbound trip, if that possible to take Wilhelm Tell Express? Will that be covered by Swiss Card? Is reservation required? Thanks.

Arno
    15482 posts
    31 August 2011 at 13:50:42 #834184

Hi Lion22,

The Swiss Card requires you to use the most direct route; which is the one the timetable suggests. The Wilhelm Tell Express is a train/boat trip with extra services such as lunch, which is not the regular most direct way to travel. So it’s not included as a free transfer in the Swiss Card. Of course you could do the boat trip from Lucerne and get a 50% discount because of the Swiss Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2011 at 3:53:02 #834185

How about if I still would like to take the Wilhelm Tell Express, and get my free transfer to Fluelen? And pay half-fare to Luzern from Fluelen?

And another question is, I am planning to take Golden Pass Line rail from Interlaken to Geneva on 21 Oct 2011, and the train will arrive at Geneva at 1324, is it risky to book a TGV Lyria train from Geneva to Paris at 1341? or should I allow more time for transit?

How punctual is train in Switzerland?

Thank you.

Arno
    15482 posts
    12 September 2011 at 9:28:23 #834186

Hello Lion22. Yes, you could use your free transfer to Flüelen – provided that you use regular trains when getting to Flüelen – and then receive a 50% discount for the Wilhelm Tell Express boat ride.

Trains in Switzerland generally are very punctual, but of course one can never be sure. Personally, I’d take a bit more time for this change of trains, as you need to board a train that requires seat reservation (so if you miss out on it, you can’t simply hop on the next one).

• The thread ‘Which Rail pass to purchase?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.