Which rail pass to use in B/O and getting to Rome?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 7:32:20 #812430

Hello,

Visiting from the United States. I am planning to visit the Bernese Oberland region for 4 days, 3 nights, ending in Rome and am unable to decide if I should get the regional BO pass, the Swiss Half Fare card, or a completely different pass.

1. I plan to visit Jungfraujoch, and take the Mannlichen-Grindelwald gondola. Also would like to travel from Grindelwald, where I am staying, to see Trummelbach Falls and also visit Wengen.

2. I will be traveling to Grindelwald from Zurich, and back to Zurich to leave Switzerland.

3. I am traveling in the week of July 4 to July 9, and did not know about the advance ticket prices. I know I will be paying full price, but what would be the cheapest way to get from Zurich to Rome using an available rail pass? I may skip Rome if it is too expensive and just leave from Zurich to Madrid, where my friends will be before we head back to the United States.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. Have a wonderful day!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 June 2017 at 8:53:24 #865873

Hi zzawahir,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I did a search for Domodossola (Swiss/Italian border) to Rome on July 8 on some of the websites listed here, and still found tickets from $62. You can still take advantage of such low prices if you book quickly and don’t mind settling for the time of the cheapest trains. Note that you normally travel via Spiez – Brig – Domodossola – Milan. In exceptional cases via Lucerne, but not via Zurich.

As for the Bernese Oberland I’m afraid the only way to be sure about the cheapest pass is to do the math as explained here. Indeed the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland could work, as well as the Swiss Half Fare Card, and even the Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Travel Pass would cover your trips from Zurich and to Domodossola as well. Please the map for what it covers in the Bernese Oberland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 17:26:22 #865874

Thank you very much for your help! There is so much information out there it is sometimes confusing to look through it all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2017 at 1:31:11 #865875

Hello again,

I purchased the Swiss Travel Pass as it seemed to be the most economical option compared to the Swiss Half Fare Card.

I checked and I believe the following trips are free, but if you could please confirm that they are, I would much appreciate it:

1. Geneva – Bern – Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen

2. Grindelwald – Spiez – Brig – Domodossola

Also, do I go to the SBB website to make reservations for these trips, or should I just wait until I get to Geneva?

Thank you very much!!

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 June 2017 at 5:46:03 #865876

Hi zzawahir,

Yes, all of that is free. You do not need reservations, just board any train you like and show the Swiss Travel Pass when requested. All you need is the additional ticket to Rome (see the first link in my previous post). The SBB has all the train schedules (see here) but you don’t need anything else from there.

• The thread ‘Which rail pass to use in B/O and getting to Rome?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.