Which rail should I choose amongst all

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2016 at 21:27:04 #808373

Hi i and my to be wife will be coming to Switzerland as a part of our honey moon

we will be landing on 26th July at Zurich we are staying in Interlaken for 4 nights and I am planning to stay 2 nights in Lucerne

• day 1 Interlaken in and around the city
    • day 2 jungfrau
    • day 3 Lugano for the chocolate factory
    • day 4 Montrex
    • day 5 Lucerne.
    • day 6 mt titlis
    • day 7 train to Paris TGV train

i had a quick question how do I plan my travel within Switzerland I am too confused which rail to take. Do I need to take a 8 day Swiss pass or could I do a combination with golden express

should I go to Lugano is there a chocolate factory any where near by

is there any only meal supplies as we are vegetarians would prefer Indian meals

regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    5 February 2016 at 9:01:06 #848189

Hi vishalgandhi, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll be doing quite some traveling, so an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass make sense. It covers all train trips and provides discounts for mountain visits. Purchase options are at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. The easiest option is to buy through http://www.swissrailways.com. During the ordering process, you can pick the “Online ticket” option and print your pass at home, without any additional fees. You’ll also need tickets from Basel to Paris. Please find information and purchase options at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.

Please mind that a day trip to Lugano from Interlaken may be a bit too much: a single journey already takes 4h45. You’d best consult the timetable to find such information. If you definitely want to see a chocolate factory, you can try to visit the Cailler factory in Broc on the day you’ll be vsiting Montreux. That too will be a long day, but it allows you to combine several interests.

It’s no problem to find vegetarian food in Switzerland. There are lots of vegetarian products in supermarkets and most restaurants offer vegetarian dishes too. You’ll also find several Indian restaurants in Interlaken.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 15:45:22 #848190

Hi Vishalgandhi –

Following up on Annika’s comments, unless you want to see Lugano for other reasons, since there is no chocolate factory there ( as far as I know) you might skip Lugano. Spend the time you save near Luzern, in the mountains nearby, or Montreux including the chocolate factory at Broc.

Of course, the very scenic train rides from Interlaken to Lugano via Luzern ( or Bellinzona, if you only want the scenic parts, ) can be a reason in their own right to make that journey. Or make it from Luzern.

You might also consider extending your stay near the Jungfrau. There is plenty to do and the trails will all be open then.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

I suggest a walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg – better views because you walk toward the Eiger, and slightly downhill in that direction.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2016 at 19:58:31 #848191

Hello:

We plan to travel Lugano-Zurich 21 April 2016 and have 2 train options: an EC train [takes 1/2 hr longer] and an ICN [tilting], and wondering which one better, ie comfort [1st or 2nd class] as well as keeping to its schedule.

Both trains depart at similar times, both trains have no changes for our city pairs, both trains require reservations, both trains are pricing out the same using a Swiss Half-Fare Card.

I can’t find seating charts or interior photos for either train. The EC train [#12] looks like it originates in Italy. The ICN train [#870] looks like it originates in Lugano.

Also, wondering about the ride comfort [regardless of class] of the “tilting” ICN train and it being 1/2 hr faster than the EC train. Is that ICN train going to be a rock-n-roll ride compared to the EC train?

Don’t this this matters with these questions, but separately, we’re going to transfer to a TGV train Zurich-Paris with a minimum 30-ish+ transfer time.

Thanks kindly & Regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 February 2016 at 21:09:42 #848192

Hi dgdgdg,

Please open a new thread as this is not related to the discussion here (see our forum rules). Thanks!

• The thread ‘Which rail should I choose amongst all’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.