Which railcard should I buy? Book the Golden Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 3:39:38 #808730

Hi!

I am planning to go according to these sequence:

– Montreaux

– Zermatt

– Interlaken

– Luzern

– Zurich

That will be a total of 4 days of traveling.

(1) Should I buy the consecutive one or non-consecutive? I compared the price and it seems it is cheaper for me to get the 2nd class 4 travel days instead of 8 consecutive travel days. However, I am quite confused as the website is in USD and apparently, the card will be sent to me by postage… I am currently based in UK and am using Rick Steve’s website to check the price (in USD and not pounds…). Am I using the wrong website?

(2) Is it possible for me to take GoldenPass Rail from Interlaken to Luzern. If that is the case, how can I book?

(3) Can I confirm that once I buy the railcard i.e. 2nd class 4 travel days, I do not need to book any tickets in advance except for the GoldenPass Rail?

I’m wondering if it is cheaper for me to buy tickets on its own because it seems that I am taking too little transport…

Thank you! Would really appreciate your help as I am really confused! This unfortunately feels like an academic homework all over again…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 March 2016 at 7:49:24 #849914

Thanks for joining us Yokie!

(1) I think the 8-day consecutive Swiss Travel Pass makes sense as you will probably do day trip nearly every day. It will get you discounts on cable cars and free traveling on boats, local train trips and free entrance to museums. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass and if you want to do the math you can check the instructions here.

You’re indeed using the wrong website. Please click the first link I gave you and click “Price”. It will show a list of purchase options for the country you’re currently in. In your case the easiest option would be to purchase from http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk and print the pass at home. Shipping is not required, although it’s free if you prefer that option. To print at home, select “Online Ticket” when asked for a delivery option. You will receive the pass through e-mail in 3 business days or less. You can also check http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/swiss-pass. They’re slightly cheaper but don’t offer to print at home. Shipping is free though.

(2/3) You don’t need to book that. It’s all covered in the Swiss Travel Pass. Please see myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/tickets and myswissalps.com/ train/reservations.

• The thread ‘Which railcard should I buy? Book the Golden Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.