Which railpass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2010 at 11:14:52 #803880

Four adults traveling from Zurich airport to Lucern. Spending 3 days on lake cruises, visits to Mt Rigi and/or Titlus/Pilatus using all modes of transportation. Then on to Wengen for 5 days. Extensive travel on many mountain lifts above Wengen to access hiking trails, including visits to Shilthorn and Jungfrau. Also planning on Lake Brienze cruise and using postal buses and trains to get back to Wengen. If poor weather, may also visit Bern or possibly Lake Geneva area, Chillon castle, etc. Return by train to Zurich airport. Which pass would be most cost effective? Half fare card or Swiss Pass, or possibly BO pass? Thank you for helping me to sort this out.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    27 June 2010 at 13:43:49 #831456

Hello mzmarcia,

You’re giving different options, so it is not easy to calculate your whole stay in Switzerland. Nevertheless, I tried to calculate most of the plans you have. All prices are per person and second class, I used the online travel planner. All mentioned prices are without discount.

To give some examples:

Zürich Airport – Luzern, one way:
    CHF 27

Mount Rigi
    Return ticket CHF 64
    From Lucerne you will have to travel to Arth-Goldau, starting point in the valley. This part of your yourney will cost you CHF 23,60

Titlis
    Return ticket CHF 82
    From Lucerne you will have to travel to Engelberg, about CHF 32

Pilatus
    Return ticket CHF 64
    On this site you can also find the costs of other ways of travelling.

All modes of transportation: For this I refer to the online travel planner as mentioned above. Here you can compare different prices, the same goes for the Railway FAQ.

Lucerne – Wengen
    One way ticket CHF 43,20

Wengen – Jungfraujoch
    Return ticket CHF 149

Wengen – Schilthorn
    Return ticket CHF 104,20

Wengen – Brienz – Return ticket through Interlaken Ost:
    Return ticket CHF 41,60
    Just tried to give an example here…

Boat trip Lake of Brienz
    Starting in Brienz and ending up there, through Interlaken Ost:
    CHF 46

Wengen – Berne
    Return ticket CHF 78,40

Wengen – Geneva
    Return ticket CHF 156,40

Wengen – Zürich airport
    One way ticket CHF 80,20

A Swiss Saver Pass costs CHF 320 per person, assuming your stay in Switzerland will be eight days, if I read your question correctly. Please view the link to see what discount you will get.

A Swiss Half Fare Card will cost you CHF 99 per person. Please view the link to see what discount you will get.

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland does not seem like a good idea to me, because most of your plans will not be covered by this Pass.

I have spent my vacations in Switzerland for more than 30 years, but that does not mean I know everything. But I know most of the plans you have mentioned and with the links mentioned above you can do a bit of calculating yourself.
    I just want to mention that the Swiss Pass rules for me and my husband! It’s all so comfortable, you never have to stay in line to buy a ticket and almost any form of transportation (incl. boats!) is free.
    Of course you will have to buy discounted tickets, for cable cars and mountain trains, but believe me, it will be worth your while and you will have discount as well.

A Swiss Half Fare Card might also be a possibility, but if you do a bit of arithmatic yourself, you will find that although this card has lots of discounts, the travel plans you have will most probably be covered by the Swiss Pass.

I wish you lots of fun in Switzerland, and I hope I have helped a little!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2010 at 17:23:52 #831457

Olga, thank you so much for yur good advice. I really appreciate it. It seems like the Swiss Saver Pass will be the best way to go, and certainly the most convenient. We are really looking forward to hiking in the Alps and soaking in all the beaty of Switzerland!

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    28 June 2010 at 3:05:05 #831458

Hello mzmarcia, glad I could help. I think the Swiss Saver Pass is a good idea, I suppose you did a bit of calculating yourself… To make life more easy, you can order your Pass here – you did not mention when you are leaving, so if you have time this is very convenient.

Enjoy Switzerland, it’s such a beautiful country!

Olga

• The thread ‘Which railpass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.