Which railpass for Interlaken, Zermatt, Lucerne?

• Arnabamritas
    Participant
    12 posts
    13 September 2021 at 20:39:34 #826103

Hello,

I am planning to visit SW from 30th Sep’21 and my planned intinerary is as follows –

Day 1(30/09) –Reach Interlaken. Then visit City of Thun – Old Town, Lake Thun near Oberhofen Castle. Lake Brienz(Optional).

Day 2(01/10) –Jungfrau Top of Europe, Harder Kulm, Iseltwald Pier

Day 3(02/10) – Spienz , Zermatt

Day 4(03/10) – Interlaken locals – Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen,Muren,Wengen Staubachh Waterfall, Rosenlaui

Day 5(04/10) – Interlaken to Lucern via train. Old Town, Chappell Bridge, Mt. Titlis

Day 6(05/10) – Lucern to Zurich. Rhine Falls, Kanzeli View platform, Zurich Old Town, Zurich Lakes

What pass should I buy for the above trip? Junfrau Pass for 3 days or Bernese Oberland Pass for 3 days?

Please note, I already bought a Half Fare Card.

Thanks

Arnab

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    14 September 2021 at 5:21:40 #936546

Hi Arnab,

Based on your itinerary, it seems like the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland may work best for you. The pass is valid in the Jungfrau region as well as trips to Thun, Spiez and Lucerne. You can also use it from Bern to Brig enroute to Zermatt. With the Swiss Half Fare Card, you are eligible for some reduction on the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland. You can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland (please use the tabs to download the validity map and check out the list of online resellers)

For best comparison, please read this quick guide on how to choose the best rail pass for your trip. It includes a useful spreadsheet that you can download: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Hope this helps you make your decision. Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Arnabamritas
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 September 2021 at 19:51:45 #936547

Hello Anna,

Thanks for reply. I can see the Bernese Oberland Pass is valid for 3 days under the Price tab. Can you please let me know if this the case?

Or it is valid for 10 days from the Start Date?

Thanks.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    15 September 2021 at 2:41:21 #936548

If you already have half fare card I do not think you need any other pass since all transport tickets will be half

You either buy half fare card or rail pass but not both. Can any blog member comment

Anna
    6274 posts
    15 September 2021 at 6:06:13 #936549

Hi Arnab,

The Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is available as 3, 4, 6, 8 or 10 consecutive days railpass. For instance the 3-day pass provides free unlimited travelling for 3 days in the Bernese Oberland. So if you opt for the 10-day pass, you can use it for free travel for 10 days in the Bernese Oberland..

You are free to choose your start date. For more details on how this works: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/howtouse

Regards,

Anna

Anna
    6274 posts
    15 September 2021 at 6:21:49 #936550

Hi Schroffchetan,

Thanks for your input. In most cases you are probably right. But a combination of passes sometimes works too. In any case, it’s useful to have different options. I recommend this quick guide to choose the best rail pass for your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Which railpass for Interlaken, Zermatt, Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.