Which route is easier?

• bat23
    Participant
    24 posts
    5 February 2013 at 6:43:18 #805809

Hello to Everyone,
    I’m having trouble to find which section is is easier and downhill and which section is uphill: Winteregg to Murren or Murren to Winteregg?

I’ve read it is better view to go Winteregg to Murren but also Murren to Winteregg is beautiful (although some views on the back). Am I right?

Which one is easier?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    5 February 2013 at 9:03:59 #838129

Hello bat23,

From Winteregg to Mürren is a bit more uphill. In my opinion the views are more stunning when you’re hiking in the Mürren direction, but that’s a matter of taste I guess. And like you said: in fact it’s the same.

(The difference in altitute between Winteregg and Mürren is about 60 meters, but it’s a bit climbing and descending.)

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 February 2013 at 2:05:49 #838130

Hi,

Most of the trails on this site include an altitude profile, so you instantly see whether it’s up- or downhill, and how much altitude difference there is. For example, see the Grütschalp – Winteregg – Mürren trail.

Yumalation
    Participant
    8 posts
    16 February 2013 at 16:31:00 #838131

Is the old railway line from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen now a hiking path? If so, is it the easiest hike up to Wengen/down to Lauterbrunnen?
    How long does it take between these villages uphill/downhill?

Another question: what are my chances to get a cloudless day on Jungfrau in mid-July? I have only two days..

Annika
    7103 posts
    17 February 2013 at 14:34:35 #838132

Hi Yumulation. There’s a good hiking path between Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. It’s a steep route in curves and it’s hard to say what’s tougher, as that depends on your physical condition: the uphill variant will demand more of your lung capacity, the downhill variant more of your knees and legs :-). The height difference is about 380 metres. Official hiking times are about 1h for Wengen-Lauterbrunnen and 1h20 for Lauterbrunnen-Wengen, but in most cases you’ll need more time.

It’s very hard to predict anything about the weather. July is generally a sunny and warm month, but there are no guarantees. It’s always wise to have some back-up plans for bad weather.

By the way, if you have other questions, you can best make a new topic rather then attaching them to this older one, as requested in the forum rules. Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2013 at 4:21:02 #838133

In my opinion it depends on your choice and your physical condition because It’s a steep route in curves.

Yumalation
    Participant
    8 posts
    21 February 2013 at 17:28:48 #838134

Thanks Annika and James.

Is it possible to walk the old railway line between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen?

I will go according to the rules from now on..

Annika
    7103 posts
    22 February 2013 at 3:56:09 #838135

Hi Yumulation. As far as I know, the old railway partly runs along the footpath, but it’s forbidden and dangerous to use the railway line itself.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 February 2013 at 9:55:16 #838136

Hi Yumulation,

I don’t have much of an answer. But looking at photo’s in Google Earth it seems the old railway track has been partially (maybe even completely?) removed. There will be no trains running.

Yumalation
    Participant
    8 posts
    22 February 2013 at 14:01:14 #838137

That’s right, Wandermann.

• 2007 Plans are announced to decommission and dismantle the old line between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen because of the steep gradient of 25% and the geological security risks.
    • 2009 The track is dismantled on the old line between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen.
  • The thread ‘Which route is easier?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.