Which SIM card is best for Switzerland?

• manshas
    Participant
    13 posts
    8 August 2017 at 0:40:13 #812879

Hi MySwissAlps Moderators & fellow travellers,

I will be travelling to Switzerland in September for 7 days and I am looking to get a local SIM Card. I’ve read your post on SIM Cards and Wifi Hotspots, and done some other research. I’ve shorlisted to two options:

1. Simly

2. Salt

I’m more inclined towards Salt pre-pay (cheaper and the store will help with setting up the card) whereas the Simly card is more expensive and I might have trouble setting it up (I’m not the most technologically savvy person!). However, the Simly card is also convenient, given that it can be set up prior to traveling and I will be good to go once I land. I will only be using the data to check train/bus times and to keep in touch with family back home via WhatsApp. No voice calls.

My question is:

1. Would you happen to know if there are generally long queues at the Salt store / takes a while for the store to set up the SIM card? I land at Zurich airport at 8:15a.m. on a Saturday

2. I read your review about Simly, which says that it has good coverage – what about Salt pre-pay?

3. Although I’ve said I’m more inclined towards Salt pre-pay, would you recommend Simly instead based on the number of days I’ll be travelling + what I will be using the SIM Card for.

Happy to hear anyone’s experience using the above SIM cards as well.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2017 at 10:04:32 #868015

Hi Manhas,

I think either option would work for you just fine.

1. Sorry, I don’t know how busy the store will be when you are there. I would bet it is quiet on a Saturday morning as it opens at 8am currently.
    2. I use Salt myself while living here and the coverage is pretty good (it is a Swiss company)
    3. Either will be fine – we do recommend Simly here and don’t know anything specific about Salt except what other members report about their experiences, which have been good.

Lucas

MelindaE
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 August 2017 at 22:00:09 #868016

Hi Manhas

We recently spent 8 days in Switzerland and used a Salt Simm. We purchased it at Zurich airport and the staff were more than happy to fit it for us which was fantastic as we knew before we left the store that all was working. We had fantastic coverage and would recommend a pre paid sim from Salt

Good luck and enjoy your trip

manshas
    Participant
    13 posts
    9 August 2017 at 7:35:59 #868017

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your reply – appreciate it!

manshas
    Participant
    13 posts
    9 August 2017 at 7:37:58 #868018

Hi MelindaE,

Thank you for your reply. It’s reassuring to hear about your good experience with Salt and it definitely sounds like the best option for me!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 9:28:12 #868019

Hi MelindaE

Its so great to have your actual experience in using Salt Pre-paid sim. My family are going for a trip on 24Aug. Can you share what time you buy the card and how long it takes the staff’s assistance to activate it?

Graftful for your additional information which help us to plan our train schedule for Lucerne after the flight.

Ms Doris lai

manshas
    Participant
    13 posts
    9 August 2017 at 16:06:39 #868020

Hi MelindaE,

Sorry, I have one more question! I note that the location of the Salt store at the Zurich airport is ‘Shopping Centre Landside’. Is that within / connected to the airport itself or do I need to leave the airport to get to this place? Is it far to get to?

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 16:27:23 #868021

The Landside shopping area is connected to the airport – no need to go outside.

You can find a link for the airport terminal plans here.

Lucas

MelindaE
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 August 2017 at 23:26:13 #868022

Hi Ms Doris lai

As Lucas said the shopping area is connected to the airport – we actually just crossed the road from airport to shopping centre but as Lucas it sounds like there might be an overpass connecting to it. My husband and myself bith purchased a Sim and the staff fitted them both to our Samsung and Apple phones. We were in and out of the shop in about 15 minutes. From the shopping centre area you are only a few minutes walk to the train to Lucerne – it is all in the one connected area. The staff in SALT and just the people passing by are all very helpful and will direct you to where to catch the train. Have a great trip 🙂

MelindaE
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 August 2017 at 23:28:15 #868023

Sorry forgot to say we were told it would take the sim up to thirty minutes after being fitted to become active but it was only about ten minutes. 🙂

• The thread ‘Which SIM card is best for Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.