Which Swiss Pass and can we rent cold weather gear

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2011 at 23:13:47 #804089

Myself, wife and two kids ages 7 and 17 are entering Switzerland from Paris via train. We want to take the train to the Top of Europe from Interlaken and then make our way to Italy via train.
    1) What pass would be best for us?

2) Can we rent cold weather gear in Interlaken for the day trip to the Top of Europe?

3) Does anyone have any general advice on spending time in Switzerland?

4) We are going to get a Eurail Pass as we arrive in Europe in London and fly home from Rome 5 weeks later. I was thinking about a 3 country select pass , but looking at the Passes that Switzerland has to offer , I am thinking we may just need a one country (Italy) pass instead? Any thoughts ?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    12 January 2011 at 14:40:50 #832094

Hi dadsrule, and welcome! Which pass is best for you, depends on your travel plans in Switzerland. Several factors should be taken into account, such as: do you plan on making long or short train trips? Will you be travelling each day, or only on some days? Do you want to explore the immediate surroundings of Interlaken only, or do you want to make (side) trips to other Swiss regions as well? Generally, a Swiss Pass comes in handy for rather intensive train travelling, and it offers ease of use as you don’t have to purchase regular train tickets for each trip. A Swiss Half Fare Card is more suitable for a stay in which short, regional trips are involved. It would be best to review the several rail passes, try to make up a more detailed list of your travel plans, and then calculate which pass is most economical. If you can be more specific about your travel plans in Switzerland, I may be able to provide further assistance.

As for tips on your Swiss holidays: you may want to take a look at our hikes and day trips lists in the Bernese Oberland. Lots of day trips from Interlaken are available. Train and boat rides can be highly recommended. Public transportation is safe, reliable and many routes offer great views. The Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe) is beautiful, too. Make sure though to visit on a day with good weather and clear skies. It’s an expensive train ride, and it would be a waste of your money to end up in the clouds.

I’m not sure if clothing can be rented, but you could try to contact Interlaken Tourism or some of the larger outdoor and sports shops, such as Eiger Sport and Intersport.

• The thread ‘Which Swiss Pass and can we rent cold weather gear’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.