Which Swiss Pass should I select for my itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2014 at 15:15:37 #806715

Hi, my aunt and I will be travelling to Switzerland from June 12, 2015 to June 18, 2015. We will be touching down at Zurich airport in the morning. Our itineraries as following:

1. Zurich airport to Solothurn. Stop by at Berne for a few hours.
    2. Solothurn to Montreux.
    3. Montreux to Interlaken via Golden Pass route. Stay in Grindelwald
    4. Grindelwald go up to Jungfrau. On the way down will stop at Wengen, Murren and Lauterbrunnen.
    5. Grindelwald to Lucerne via Golden Pass route.
    6. Lucerne to Zurich.
    7. Zurich and back home.

At first I am thinking of getting a 8 days Swiss Travel Pass. So that I would be able to cover my whole journey. Is there any other option cheaper than this?

If I am getting a 4 days Swiss Travel Pass Flex, I intend to use it on day 1, day 2, day 3 and day 5. In this case, can I enjoy the 50% discount when I go up to Jungfrau from Grindelwald on day 4? Is this option better than the 8 days Swiss Travel Pass?

Your opinion is much appreciated. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 November 2014 at 6:14:40 #841303

Hi Ai Fong,

Thanks for your post! A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex + Swiss Half Fare Card (at half the price) would be the best choice out of the two passes you suggested. You can best use the free travel days on day 1, 2, 3 and 4. On day 4, you will get 50% off the trip from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch and back down to Wengen. From there you can travel for free for the rest of the day: train to Lauterbrunnen, bus to Stechelberg, cable car to Mürren, train to Grütschalp, cable car to Lauterbrunnen and trains to Grindelwald.

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass would be slightly more expensive than buying regular tickets. The above combination will be slightly cheaper. You could save more with a Swiss half Fare Card, but then you would have to purchase tickets for each trip.

The prices of all the new passes will be announced around January 1, so you can best check back around that time to make your final choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2014 at 13:20:53 #841304

Dear Annika,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Now I know which pass to choose for my itinerary.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 November 2014 at 13:17:44 #841305

Hello again Ai Fong,

I just found something out about the new passes for 2015: the Swiss Travel Pass Flex + Swiss Half Fare Card combination only offers a 50% discount on tickets between the first and last free travel day of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. So if you would use the last free travel day on day 4, you would not get discounts on day 5, 6 and 7.

This results in a slightly different outcome. Your options are:

1. A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass, to be used on day 1 to 4, and buy regular tickets on the remaining days;
    2. A regular Swiss Half Fare Card, to buy discounted tickets each day.

Option 1 saves you a few Swiss francs. Option 2 saves more so that’s the cheapest one.

Well, you still have plenty of time to decide. Perhaps there will be promotions you can take advantage of. Just keep an eye on the promo page: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/promotions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2014 at 13:58:54 #841306

Dear Annika,

Thank you so much for the information. I will reconsider and make my selection after the new prices for all the Swiss Passes have been announced.

• The thread ‘Which Swiss Pass should I select for my itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.