Which train pass and advice on 8-day itinary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2016 at 14:21:36 #809425

I am planning for a visit with my wife and child aged 14.

• Would be at Zurich at around 08.00 hrs on 25th June and plan to spend 1 day at Zurich covering Black Forest and Rhine Falls.
    • Would be leaving to Lucerne on 26th staying there for 3 days(26,27,28) to cover Mt.Titlis, Mt Riggi and Mt Pilatus.
    • on 29th I propose to go from Lucerne to to Jungfraou and stay for night at Wengen or Grindelwald (29 &30), on 1st I propose to go to Geneva and also covering Montreux& Chillon castle.
    • I plan to take a train to Zermatt from Geneva on 02 july and spend time there (Matterhorn etc) and I have a flight from Zurich to India departing at 1500 hrs.

I propose to do all the journeys by public transport only (by train as far as possible). Even though I would like to go for Glacier express, due to the paucity of time, I had not planned for the same.

Please suggest me if the Itinerary is OK from practicality aspect or if any changes need to be made, I seek your guidance on the same. Most importantly, I seek your guidance on the train passes that I need to purchase for minimizing my overall transportation costs.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 June 2016 at 14:56:22 #853010

Dear Vwperi,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

You cannot combine the Black Forest and the Rhine Falls from Zurich by public transport. It’s too much traveling and connections are not that good when crossing the border into Germany. You can do it if you book a bus tour, like this one: http://www.viator.com/tours/Z urich/Black-Forest-and-Rhine-Falls-Day-Trip-from-Zurich/d577-2460FOREST. Personally I would just do the Rhine Fall and explore Zurich. You need more time for the Black Forest to see it properly.

I recommend to skip Geneva and stay in Montreux. It’s closer what you want to see and you will save traveling time.

Your plan for July 2 seems to ambitious. Please check the timetable to see if you can reach the airport in time.

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass would work well. You can save time and print it yourself by visiting http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2016 at 15:02:05 #853011

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for the guidance and I will avoid Black forest as suggested. Also, I will not be touching Geneva as suggested.

Further, I request you to guide me for the 02nd July issue (Zermatt) as to what I should cover and what I should leave. As I informed, my flight back to India is to depart at 15.10 hrs from Zurich.

Regards,

PERI

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 June 2016 at 15:13:00 #853012

Hello Peri,

I’m glad to help! As for July 2: I assume you need to be at the airport well before your intercontinental flight, like 12:00 or 13:00? So that does not leave you much time as you also need to get there from Montreux. If you depart early, a brief city visit to Bern, on your way to Zurich, will be possible. The historical town center is very nice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2016 at 15:13:25 #853013

Sorry, a small correction, the flight to India is on 03/07/16. I missed the date.

Regards,

PERI

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 June 2016 at 15:14:59 #853014

Ok, in that case your plan is doable. Please check the timetable for details. Note that there is a risk in staying such a short time in Zermatt. If there are low clouds, you may not see the Matterhorn at all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2016 at 15:16:55 #853015

Thanks, will check the timetables and plan accordingly. Also, at Zermatt, Can I do any other place other than Matterhorn on 2nd. Expecting that I would be at Zermatt by around 10.30 hrs.

Regards,

PERI

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 June 2016 at 15:32:39 #853016

Hi Peri,

You’ll find many options on our Zermatt page.

• The thread ‘Which train pass and advice on 8-day itinary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.