Which trains to book Milan to Lugano to Luzern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2015 at 13:31:57 #807673

Hi,

Can someone please advise on the best trains to book for trip from Milan 》 Lugano. Sleep 2 nights in Lugano. Then trip from Lugano 》 Luzern and sleep 2 nights in Luzern.

We have already purchased a global pass 15 days for our travel through Europe ( Italy, Switzerland, France and Germany.)

We would like to take some of the Swiss Scenic Rail journeys during our stay in Switzerland. Would it be possible to take the William Tell express from Lugano to Luzern as it seems it only goes from Luzern to Lugano?

Any advise appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 August 2015 at 14:16:37 #844929

<<“We would like to take some of the Swiss Scenic Rail journeys during our stay in Switzerland. Would it be possible to take the William Tell express from Lugano to Luzern as it seems it only goes from Luzern to Lugano?”>>

It runs in both directions and is an excellent choice.

http://www.myswissalps.com/wi lhelmtellexpress

I particularly like the boat secton on the southern part of Lake Luzern ( the Urnersee; that part is in Canton Uri..)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2015 at 14:32:09 #844930

Thanks for the info, great news. I’m struggling to book it from Lugano though as all my searches only brings up the high speed train options. Booking is quite a challenge. Can you advise what to add into the search engine? I am assuming that I would need to take a separate link from Lugano to Bellinzona and then catch the a Wilhelm Tell express from there?

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 August 2015 at 15:00:53 #844931

Not sure, but you might be getting the automatic “fastest train” output.

It is not made any easier because the link within this forum to the SBB timetable has been dumbed down; it presents with no “via” box until you are actually into the site.

Try going to the SBB web site directly –

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

That gives you a “via” box to use for Flüelen, where you change from train to boat.

The attached screen shot shows that it is possible…. not sure why Wm. Tell express does not show up. Still exploring.

Maybe this will wprk –

traintickets.myswitzer land.com/european-trains/william-tell-express/how-to-book.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw__atBRDf qe-9voylym8SJAAOBeQ_x5prb N92faemSjmE0tq82J05IzC OUyDfJsyDdVpVqhoCX8_w_ wcB

There may also be a specific site for the Wm. Tell Express.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 August 2015 at 16:39:54 #844932

You don’t need to book this. Your pass covers all trains and boats on the Wilhelm Tell route. You only need to book in advance if you want to have the special Wilhelm Tell package with reserved seats and a lunch. Please see the first link Slowpoke gave you.

If you do want to book it, please find instructions on myswissalps.com/ wilhelmtellexpress/ tickets.

• The thread ‘Which trains to book Milan to Lugano to Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.