WiFi and mobile phone options for Switzerland

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 April 2017 at 1:26:44 #811303

Hi MySwissAlps Team,

I am weighing up options for staying on-line and staying in contact with relatives while visiting Switzerland.

1. At http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard you say you can use Whatsapp with Simly data only sim. My impression was that Whatsapp requires a valid verified mobile number to work. Also, to use SBB wifi in stations I need to be able to receive SMS to logon.

2. Is it really possible to survive with data-only SIM card (or Travellers WiFi) and no phone number?

3. As an alternative for a super cheap limited voice calls/SMS option does anyone have experience with this http://www.sunrise.ch/en/resi dential/mobile/airbag. html ? I am wondering if it would be good in combination with Travellers WiFi.

I have also come across SALT pre-pay (http://www.salt.ch/en/prepay/) which sounds almost too good to be true “SIM card price: CHF10.–Includes CHF20.– initial credit without phone purchase. Tariffs : 0.49/call (max. 60 minutes) to all Swiss networks and 1.99/day full speed unlimited surfing and international calls from 0.01/min!”

Does anyone have experience with Sunrise or SALT sims? Would they be available to travellers or only Swiss residents?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 April 2017 at 5:55:06 #861087

Hi Rockoyster,

1. I’ve used this SIM card a while ago and don’t recall issues with WhatsApp. Indeed you need a verified phone number, but you already have that I suppose or can arrange for that before you replace the SIM. Once WhatsApp works I am quite sure it does not need a phone signal. I did not have problems with that, but you can test it by removing/disabling your current SIM and see if it still works.

2. It depends on your requirements I guess. It worked fine for me. Note that the card does include a phone number, just no phone plan. See “How to install the Simly SIM card” on myswissalps.com/ simcard. I think you can receive an SMS on that and even call emergency numbers, but I did not try this. Wifi at the station is not needed as you have the SIM, unless you think you will use all of your data and more.

Of course the superior option is the TravelersWifi mobile hotspot, explained on the same page. You’ll have unlimited high speed internet everywhere you go, and your SIM stays in place so your phone keeps working as usual.

3. I have not tried these, sorry.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 April 2017 at 8:16:18 #861088

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your response which triggered my sometimes slow brain into action.

The simly SIM does not have the ability to receive SMS but no matter. As long as I take my verified mobile phone with me I can use it without a SIM of with a data-only mobile SIM and will not have to reverify the device to Whatsapp.

From WhatsApp website (http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/e n/iphone/20970433) “Even with your SIM card removed or your cellular connection disabled, you can continue using your existing number in WhatsApp when on Wi-Fi.

My current phone is locked to an Australian network provider so I would need to pay to get it unlocked in order to use the simly SIM. This makes the Traveller WiFi look very attractive.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 April 2017 at 16:14:55 #861089

Yes, you’re right, all SIM cards do require an unlocked phone. I am sure you will like TravelersWifi. It’s not particularly cheap, but you’ll get the best of the best, and no worries about using too much data. I’ve moderated this forum using TravelersWifi, uploaded lots of images/videos, and much more.

• The thread ‘WiFi and mobile phone options for Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.