Wilhem Tell trip with 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass

• Miguel
    Participant
    2 posts
    20 May 2016 at 18:36:52 #809262

Hello. I am planing to buy a Swiss travel pass flex 2nd class, and I would like to do the Wilhem Tell trip, however this boat and train have only 1st class. Can I travel anyway with my 2nd class ticket?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 May 2016 at 18:47:52 #852326

Hi Miguel, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll find this explained here: myswissalps.com/ wilhelmtellexpress/ tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2016 at 14:52:23 #852327

Hi Miguel, I was working on same issue. If you booking in US, Rail Europe’s the only reseller. They wanted a reservation fee of around$70-$75 per person on top of travel pass(includes lunch aboard the boat) and fee of upgrade to 1st class on train option paid locally in Fluelen. Second class Swiss Travel Pass requires upgrade to 1st class. for Wilhelm Thell Express Ride. We have first class Travel Pass, but our problem was early last departure of boat Willhelm Thell) from Lucerne to Fluelen: 11;15am and we wanted to spend at least 1/2 day in Lucerne.

On Arno’s suggestion, doing same trip, not under “willhelm Thell” by taking other boat from Lucerne to Fluelen (last boat 3:15pm), then taking one of trains to Lugano. both are free with any Swiss travel Pass. Not sure if Fluelen to Lugano train requires reservation.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2016 at 15:27:51 #852328

That will indeed work, and you don’t need any reservations. It will even work on the “official” Wilhelm Tell Express. Reservations are not required there either. The upgrade is optional, see the page I linked to.

Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘Wilhem Tell trip with 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.