Will a pass help us?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2013 at 12:57:13 #805740

My wife and I will be arriving at Zurich Airport on June 2 and going directly to Grindelwald for 3 nights. Plan to do hiking there. Probably use some local train/lifts. Then to Lucerne for 4 nights. Plan to visit 2 popular mountains by boat/train/lifts from Lucerne. Then back to Zurich airport. So 3 city to city train legs. Will any pass be helpful or better point to point tickets? Does any pass help for non-city to city boats/trains/lifts? If I am reading the rates correctly each of the Zurich-Grindelwald and Grindelwald-Lucerne trains are about 40CHF. Lucerne to Zurich Airport 14 CHF. So total for 1 person about 95CHF without any local boats/trains/lifts.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 January 2013 at 14:24:49 #837884

The local boats/trains/lifts are far more expensive that the “flat land” transport as there is a great deal of vertical involved (expensive to operate and maintain). For example, return Grindelwald – First (which you certainly will want to do) is 54 CHF per person. Grindelwald – Männlichen return is 62 CHF per person. Grindelwald – Jungfraujoch return is 170 CHF per person. It adds up quickly.

You definitely would benefit from a pass. My favorite is the Half Fare Card, 50% off of everything, no mental gymnastics around what days are “free”, the discount rate on various different transports, etc. Usually ends up being the most cost-effective as well.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 January 2013 at 0:39:21 #837885

Hello jmsesq,

A pass would save you money, especially on mountain trips. Also, the regular train transfers are more expensive. It’s about CHF 150 per person for the 3 transfers. I think some of your prices are the reduced fares, which is half of what you would actually pay without a pass.

The Swiss Half Fare Card that Kim mentioned is indeed a good option. It’s either that one or an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass. The pass itself is more expensive than the Swiss Half Fare Card, but it would include free traveling on all days and more convenience as you don’t have to buy tickets for each trip. It includes discounted mountain trips, but some of that is also free: e.g. traveling to Wengen, Mürren, and even to the top of the Rigi near Lucerne. Also, the boats near both Interlaken and Lucerne are included for free, as well as many museums. The pages I linked to provide all details, downloadable network maps, and reseller overviews. You still have plenty of time so you might want to keep an eye on our website as rates and promotions may change before you go.

Hotels near the Lucerne rail station can be found here.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2013 at 10:29:58 #837886

Yes thank you. I will wait a bit and then look into these options.

[quote]Arno said: Hello jmsesq,

A pass would save you money, especially on mountain trips. Also, the regular train transfers are more expensive. It’s about CHF 150 per person for the 3 transfers. I think some of your prices are the reduced fares, which is half of what you would actually pay without a pass.

The Swiss Half Fare Card that Kim mentioned is indeed a good option. It’s either that one or an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass. The pass itself is more expensive than the Swiss Half Fare Card, but it would include free traveling on all days and more convenience as you don’t have to buy tickets for each trip. It includes discounted mountain trips, but some of that is also free: e.g. traveling to Wengen, Mürren, and even to the top of the Rigi near Lucerne. Also, the boats near both Interlaken and Lucerne are included for free, as well as many museums. The pages I linked to provide all details, downloadable network maps, and reseller overviews. You still have plenty of time so you might want to keep an eye on our website as rates and promotions may change before you go.

Hotels near the Lucerne rail station can be found here.

Does this help you out?
    edited by Arno on Jan 9, 2013[/quote]

• The thread ‘Will a pass help us?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.