Will Swiss Half-fare Passes benefit us?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2016 at 23:33:02 #809300

There will 4 adults and 2 children (within the relevant age group) in our group visiting Switzerland for just 3 days and wishing to take the railway trip to Jungfraujoch most probably from Interlaken Ost, and a boat trip on Lake Lucerne – these will be the only trips we will do, as we’re travelling by car.

1. If we 4 adults each buy a Swiss Half-fare Rail Pass and also get a free Swiss Family Card, do the 2 children also each need to have a Swiss Half-fare Pass in order to access the free travel on the train and boat?
    2. Also, would it be more cost effective for only the children’s parents to buy the Half-fare card?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    31 May 2016 at 8:56:14 #852419

Hi Carmel, thanks for joining us!

1. No, you don’t need Swiss Half Fare Cards for the children. The Swiss Family Card allows them to travel along for free everywhere.
    2. That would mean the other adults pay the full prices for tickets. A ticket to Jungfraujoch costs over CHF 200, so the CHF 120 Swiss Half Fare Card almost pays for itself just for that trip. Additionally there’s the boat trip you mentioned which will be discounted too. Also I would recommend to do the day trip from Interlaken to Lucerne by train (part of the Golden Pass route). It’s a pleasant scenic trip, and you’ll save on parking costs in Lucerne. If you want to explore town before or after the boat trip you would best do that on foot anyway.

You can print the Swiss Half Fare Cards and Swiss Family Card at home through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. Other options are listed on myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2016 at 11:18:23 #852420

Dear Carmel

I just came from Interlaken OST. My first time here. Its very convenient to travel by train. And d Swiss half fare pass is worth it. As Amo have explained, its easy n more convenient w d travel pass. Be well clothed for Jungfrujoch. Its lovely. Keep warm. Thermal wear helps. Sunglasses n gloves too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2016 at 11:55:25 #852421

Dear Arno and Ikwlee,

Thank you very much for your very helpful responses to my question about the value of a Half-Fare Pass in our situation. Your suggestions too are very helpful. My husband and I are going to be travelling with family who live in the UK and we are coming from Australia, so it will be good to share your responses with them, and then work exactly what we feel we can do in the two days. But it all sounds very wonderful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2016 at 19:28:13 #852422

Dear Carmel, the Aeschbach chocolate factory is just 15 mins away from Interlaken OST. It’s interesting and fun. There is an entrance fee charge. I think CNF15. You can design your own chocolates too for CNF10.

Ask the hotel receptionist for train direction. Where I stayed, the staff were very helpful and gave clear directions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2016 at 10:42:46 #852423

Thank you Ikwlee for the suggestion about the chocolate factory – our daughter-in-law and grandchildren will be very interested to visit there as we are staying at Iseltwald, not far from Interlaken Ost I believe.

• The thread ‘Will Swiss Half-fare Passes benefit us?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.