Winter activities: Switzerland & Geneva with kids

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 23:28:00 #812903

hi! We arrive in zurich after Xmas and the plan is stay for 2 weeks in Geneva and arounds. We have 3 kids ,9,7 and 5 and we need tips of the best way to go to geneva: Swiss pass or rent a car? And things to do in the winter, type of clothes to wear in the city… I appreciate any tips! Thanks you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2017 at 6:27:14 #868130

Hi Giselapina,

What brings you to Switzerland and Geneva for 2 weeks? Do you have any plans already?

I would expect the weather in and around Switzerland to average around 0 degrees in January. If you go up into the mountains it will be quite a bit colder of course. You can read more about the weather in Switzerland here. Coming from Brazil you will probably want to dress very warmly for that weather. Ski coats, and maybe thermal underwear even if you aren’t planning on mountain trips.

A Swiss Travel Pass is great if you plan to travel around the country a fair bit. If you are just taking a train to Geneva and staying in the Geneva area it may be overkill. You may then want to look at the Regional Pass Lake Geneva-Alps.

There are a lot of things to do in Switzerland year round, in the winter it is mostly skiing, snowshoeing, tobogganing etc. For things to do in the Geneva area click here. There are somewhat nearby mountain trips, like Mont Blanc, Rochers-De-Nayes and the Glacier 3000.

If you plan to travel by train , use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out each trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2017 at 11:07:26 #868131

Hi Lucas!

Thank you for your answer!! We are visiting family in Geneva! I heard a lot of attractions and scenic tours are closed during winter and I was wondering what was left to do with kids. We have no plans already, our base will be Geneva and I will research your tips to plan some trips. I read that with Family Swiss pass, my kids travel for free, that’s why I thought about it instead of buying round trips for the 5 of us. But I will check the Regional Pass Lake Geneva-Alps as well.

My kids have ski clothes, coats and overwalls, but to wear in the city I don’t know what’s appropriate, haha.

I really appreciate your tips! Thank you so much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2017 at 12:41:54 #868132

Yes, you could buy the Swiss Travel Pass for the adults and then add-on the free Swiss Family Card for the kids. This could come out as the more economical option and will allow you to travel around the whole country (pretty much) without needing to buy individual tickets.

I would be prepared for snow in the towns so bring the ski clothes. There are lots of mountains you can take the kids to play in the snow (snow parks, tubing) etc. Most of the popular mountains for this aren’t too close to Geneva. The closest option to Geneva would be the Glacier 3000 near Gstaad I believe (http://www.glacier3000.ch/en).

If you plan on spending a few nights away from Geneva during your trip, check out the towns of Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen, that have mountains nearby that I’m sure you and the kids would enjoy (click on the ‘what to do’ tabs).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Winter activities: Switzerland & Geneva with kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.