“Winter rooms” on the hiker”s Haute Route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2015 at 16:20:52 #807870

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I will be hiking the hiker’s Haute Route right at the end of the mountain hut season (September 20-30). Some of the huts will be closed at this time, but I have read that they keep a “winter room” open.

I haven’t been able to find more detailed information on the winter rooms, however. If anyone knows what this means, it would be great to have a little more information. For example, does this mean the hut is open even though there is no one there, so we can go inside and get warm and dry and sleep inside? We will have camping stove and can cook our own food, but I want to make sure we will have a place to go inside and sleep in these huts, as they are the only shelter along the route in some sections. If we won’t be able to get inside, we will bring our tent and all of our camping things.

Thank you for you assistance!

Juliann and Daniel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 September 2015 at 9:27:55 #845909

Hi Juliann and Daniel,

Huts are indeed always accessible, even is there is no warden. So you can sleep there and use the basic facilities as long as you clean up and obey the rules. Information about the huts and the rules can be found on http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts/hut-information.html. This page might come in handy too: https://www.myswissalps.com/campsites/wildcamping.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2015 at 13:25:26 #845910

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for this information, it was really helpful!

We have encountered another issue – I have called Cabane de Prafleuri repeatedly over the last 4 days with no answer. We would like to make a reservation there to ensure that we will be able to stay the night of the 24, but the only way to reserve is to call and no one seems to be answering the phones. Do you have any advice?

Thanks so much for all of your help,

Juliann

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 September 2015 at 13:45:48 #845911

Hi Juliann,

Their number is +41 272811780. They close around this time for the Winter, so that might be the reason they don’t answer. I assume you can’t reserve a place either when they’re closed. You can contact the local tourist agency (http://www.valdherens.ch). Perhaps they have more information. Good luck!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2015 at 6:34:07 #845912

Hello,We are planning to sleep at Cabane de Mont Fort on 23 September, after it is closed. We understand that we may still go inside to sleep and use the kitchen.I am wondering if there will be any blankets, or if we need to bring a sleeping bag? This would be the only time in our trip we would use a sleeping bag, so we would like to know if we need to bring one.Thank you,Juliann and Daniel

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 September 2015 at 9:32:12 #845913

Hi Juliann and Daniel,

You can best contact the tourist agency or the Swiss Alpine Club. Links are in my previous posts. They should be able to provide details like this.

• The thread ‘“Winter rooms” on the hiker”s Haute Route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.