Would you like a one month Swiss Travel Pass?

• Arno
    15471 posts
    14 July 2016 at 13:02:58 #803677

Hello travelers,

If you are a frequent visitor to Switzerland you may remember the “good old” one month Swiss Pass. It is no longer for sale as of January 1, 2015. The best current alternative is the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi, which includes up to 15 days of free traveling and 15 days of discounted traveling. It’s not quite the same, but it works.

Unfortunately, with the product changes in 2017, there will no longer be a reasonable alternative. In order to get the same level of comfort (spontaneous unlimited traveling without buying tickets), one would need to buy two 15-day Swiss Travel Passes. That’s pretty costly.

Would you like the 22-day and one month Swiss Travel Pass to be introduced again? If so, please post here.

Please note: we do not control the offered passes, and we don’t sell them ourselves. But knowing about your travel needs may be very helpful when we talk to the people who do make the decisions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2016 at 18:58:30 #854065

Hi Arno

I would definitely like to see the one month pass re-introduced. This year we have had to purchase 2 15 day passes each which, while they do save us money are a more costly option than the one month pass was.

There are never any special offers or promotions for travellers from the UK as there are for other parts of the world either!

We spend a month each summer in Switzerland so would certainly appreciate a one month pass.

Maggie

danieljason
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 July 2016 at 19:25:41 #854066

I would like to see the month pass available and I like getting rid of the misc other passes. A single STP is my preference. I have purchased the 15 day pass myself for a 15 day trip and saved a great deal of time and money

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 July 2016 at 5:51:49 #854067

Hi Maggie,

Such a pass would indeed work great for your month of traveling in Switzerland. Thanks for letting us know here.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 July 2016 at 5:52:54 #854068

Hi Danieljason,

Thanks for your response!

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    15 July 2016 at 8:27:26 #854069

I would also be very happy with the the STP month version again. We used it many times, it’s so easy!

darrell
    Participant
    38 posts
    15 July 2016 at 12:30:47 #854070

Certainly would like the 1 month pass —I know we would visit many other places that we might not without the pass – spontaneous travel to parts unknown!!!!

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    15 July 2016 at 12:49:35 #854071

Hi Arno,

We visited Switzerland, from Australia, in 2014 using the STP for 21 days. We were so impressed by the ease of travel. We planned to make a return trip in 2017 for one month, using the STP, but were most disappointed to learn that it no longer exists. We are still not sure if we’ll make a return visit, however the return of the STP would certainly influence our decision.

Thanks for all your information – it is so helpful.

Regards,

Marg

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 July 2016 at 14:43:54 #854072

Thanks for your response. Yes, it’s certainly easy to travel with a Swiss Travel Pass!

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 July 2016 at 14:45:01 #854073

Thank you for replying. Good to hear that the pass actually influences your travel plans!

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 July 2016 at 14:48:55 #854074

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Marg. Hopefully the pass will be made available again for people visiting 16+ days. It won’t be in 2017 though. Fingers crossed for 2018!

Feel free to share your travel plans in the forum once you decided to come. We’ll be glad to help you to find the best available pass option.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    15 July 2016 at 18:53:36 #854075

Hi,

Reading this forum over the past years I’m aware of the fact that many visitors of Switzerland prefer shorter stays nowadays.

But I’m quite sure there are many diehard travelers who prefer a two, three or even four weeks vacation in this beautiful country.

I’m one of them. On behalf of this group of Switzerland lovers I want to let you know that a 22-day or one month Swiss Travel Pass (or whatever they would like to call it in the future) would be more than wellcome!

No other pass is as convenient as this one, especially during a longer stay in Switzerland!

Please “pass” on our opinions!

Wandermann

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 July 2016 at 19:05:39 #854076

Thanks for sharing your opinion here Wandermann!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2016 at 4:27:26 #854077

Hi Arno,

That’s bad news about changes to the passes! I love the flexibility provided by the Swiss Travel Pass, and the reintroduction of the longer-duration passes would be wonderful.

To get best value from costly airfares from Australia to Europe, my trips tend to be at least a month. In the past, I have divided that time between several countries, with the duration of my time in Switzerland planned to make best use of one of the Swiss Travel Passes.

However, like many others in this forum, having discovered the beauty of Switzerland, the accessibility of mountain tops and glaciers etc, the wonderful public transport system and the comprehensive nature of Swiss Travel Passes, Switzerland is now top of my list for European holidays. That is why I am spending the whole of my 6-week holiday this year in Switzerland, as well as visiting again at Christmas as part of a trip including other countries. This year I can make use of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi to help keep travel relatively affordable. I’m disappointed that that won’t be an option for any future trips. I can’t imagine visiting Europe again without including Switzerland.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 July 2016 at 7:10:43 #854078

Hi Alpenrose,

Six weeks in Switzerland, that’s great! I can see how a one month or even 6-week Swiss Travel Pass would work for you. Hopefully the product will be back some day. Your response helps, thanks for that!

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    17 July 2016 at 11:59:47 #854079

I used the one month pass in June 2009 and again in August 2014 it was the best! There are almost too many different types and lengths of travel pass offerings. They are fine if each days travel is planned out exactly but I like the unplanned mix of hiking, trekking, trains, cable cars etc. depending on what catches my fancy for that day. The one month pass is awesome for that type of travel! Please bring it back.

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    17 July 2016 at 12:29:40 #854080

Yes, yes, and yes! We used it many times. Since our retirement over 25 years ago we try to spend a month each fall in Switzerland. Last year with a Half Fare Card was OK but we definitely prefer the convenience of the One Month Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2016 at 12:53:04 #854081

Hi Alpenrose

Even from UK cost of air fares means it is more cost effective to have one long stay rather than 2 or 3 shorter trips.

I agree with other contributers that the convenience of being able to decide where to go and what to do as you go along according to weather prospects and in our case, how fit we feel on the day, makes the Swiss Travel Pass the best option.

Maggie

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 July 2016 at 16:06:20 #854082

Hi SummitClym,

Indeed the Swiss Travel Pass allows some spontaneity. Thanks for your reply!

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 July 2016 at 16:08:45 #854083

Hello hockeyfan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps, and thanks for sharing your experiences here!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2016 at 1:29:35 #854084

Arno-

Your efforts in suppoert of the longer term Swiss Travel Pass are to be applauded.

Having been exposed to marketing in my career, I have become cynical.

To whit- The more people who like, want, and need the longer term passes, the more chance to get more money from them by selling multiple shorter term passes. Those people might cut back on their spending in Switzerland, by staying for a shorter time, but the SBB will get a greater share of it.

Cynical is my middle name. ;-(

Slowpoke.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 87 total)
  • The thread ‘Would you like a one month Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.