Would you like a one month Swiss Travel Pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2016 at 1:29:35 #854084

Arno-

Your efforts in suppoert of the longer term Swiss Travel Pass are to be applauded.

Having been exposed to marketing in my career, I have become cynical.

To whit- The more people who like, want, and need the longer term passes, the more chance to get more money from them by selling multiple shorter term passes. Those people might cut back on their spending in Switzerland, by staying for a shorter time, but the SBB will get a greater share of it.

Cynical is my middle name. ;-(

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2016 at 8:29:51 #854085

I would like to have one month Swiss pass.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 July 2016 at 14:32:16 #854086

You’re right Slowpoke, there are most probably more reasons to discontinuing this pass than low sales numbers alone. After all, it was still being sold, it just wasn’t the best selling product. Anyway, all we can do is give it a try for the sake of (mostly) returning tourists who want to stay long.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 July 2016 at 14:33:24 #854087

Thanks for letting us know Lapgates!

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    7 August 2016 at 15:06:53 #854088

Thank you for advocating for us. We come to Oberried am Brienzersee for one month each year from Australia. We were devastated when the month long STP was discontinued, and had a lot of email exchanges with SBB. We tried the 15 day Flexi/ half fare card combo in 2015. It didn’t allow us enough spontaneity, as we like to do long trips to wherever our fancy takes us – every day! So in 2016 we got a month long Eurail pass instead, and thus we took lots of long trips out of Switzerland on many days!! With Eurail you can’t enjoy the mountains in the BO. We would not ever buy 2 x 15 day pass. It would be far too expensive. I long for the return of the month long STP and could never understand why it was discontinued. We like to travel in first class and always go in either May or September.

Thanks again for a grand website!

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 August 2016 at 16:10:49 #854089

Your type of vacation would indeed require a one month Swiss Travel Pass. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts here Minnie!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2016 at 20:18:42 #854090

Yes i would like a one month or 22 day non-consecutive swiss pass. We quite often go to Switzerland for a month and this year we had to buy a Global pass, which is probably more expensive , so please return the one month swiss pass!!!

thank you!!!

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 August 2016 at 6:45:47 #854091

Welcome to MySwissAlps terryruesch!

Indeed, a Eurail Pass is an alternative in some way, just like Minnie did. But it’s not similar to the Swiss Travel Pass. Thank you for letting us know about your travel needs.

ruedi
    Participant
    26 posts
    8 August 2016 at 15:21:20 #854092

Hi

Thank you for the question!!

The fact that there is no longer the month long pass has truly made us question our next June trip . I was here asking about this several months ago and the pass recommended was the one that is now also being discontinued on Jan first. We love to travel and find this very frustrating. The Swiss pass one month was perfect for travel museums etc.

ruedi
    Participant
    26 posts
    8 August 2016 at 15:24:49 #854093

So next question..what would you recommend since both theses passes have been ended,

Would still like to travel for a month and visit museums boats etc. Deo we purchase the Eurorail?

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 August 2016 at 18:37:39 #854094

Thanks for your response Ruedi! The alternatives for this type of traveling for a month will be limited next year. Two 15-day Swiss Travel Passes are far too expensive, although theoretically it’s an option. The one month Swiss Half Fare Card is good value, but does not provide the same convenience and does not include museums.

I don’t think the Eurail Select Pass and Eurail Global Pass are good alternatives for most people, but some buy those if their trip includes multiple countries. For travelers from Europe there’s the single country Interrail Pass that might work.

I think a combination of a 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex and a Swiss Half Fare Card would be the best option as things stand now (well, as of 2017). This is similar to the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi which will be discontinued.

I hope they will re-introduce the 15+ day Swiss Travel Passes. Hence this thread.

Swissophile
    Participant
    26 posts
    10 August 2016 at 13:48:27 #854095

Hello. We have in the past bought the 22–day Swiss Pass and were very unhappy when these were discontinued, likewise with the discontinuation of the discount for two travelling together (which was 15 per cent). I should love to be able to purchase a longer pass once again. The changes proposed for next year I think will only drive visitors away from Switzerland and perhaps to a cheaper destination like Austria.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 August 2016 at 14:57:06 #854096

Hi Gladysknight,

Thank you for adding to this discussion here! By the way, the discount for two or more traveling together was not discontinued. They just stopped calling it “Saver passes” and started charging the same prices (the Saver prices actually) for everyone. This old post from 2014 announces the change. Solo travelers won, group travelers did not loose.

And welcome to MySwissAlps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2016 at 13:02:50 #854097

Yes I would love to see the 22 day pass. I always take a two week vacation but for me if I am coming to a place in Europe one of the biggest expenses is airfare so I like to spend longer. Typically at least 18 days to 3 weeks, in which case I need more than the 15 days.

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 August 2016 at 15:01:49 #854098

Thanks for adding that to this thread Jerry! I hope such passes will be reintroduced one day.

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    15 August 2016 at 22:02:14 #854099

Hello, We were very disappointed, as we previously posted, when the 22+ days Swiss Pass was removed from the system. We plan to visit Switzerland from Australia in 2017 but don’t particularly want to have to purchase two, 15-day Swiss Travel passes each. We contacted SBB asking for suggestions for an alternative. We would be interested in your comments re. their following suggestion, which we hadn’t heard of, or understood this before. “With a 1-month travelpass for the Half-Fare travelcard (CHF 410.00), and a “Half-Fare travelcard” (CHF 185.00) you can travel on most stretches without any extra costs. Some very touristic lines will apply only a reduction.” Thanks for the forum – we really appreciate it Regards, Mageo

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2016 at 0:40:46 #854100

Looks like they raised the cost for the one month half-fare card.

Used to be about 25 CHF.

Bummer. That is what I always used for my guests.

Slowpoke

Swissophile
    Participant
    26 posts
    16 August 2016 at 9:35:20 #854101

Hello. I was interested to read the advice to get a one-month pass plus a half-price card. I wonder what the price would be if you did not have a half-price card? After all, you would not need this if you had free travel with the month pass. And where can you get this month-long pass? Or have I misunderstood what they are saying?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2016 at 9:57:12 #854102

<<“Looks like they raised the cost for the one month half-fare card. Used to be about 25 CHF.”>>

Oooops-

I meant to write “125” CHF

Still, it was close to that for quite a few years.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2016 at 10:01:17 #854103

Hi Gladys-

<<” And where can you get this month-long pass? Or have I misunderstood what they are saying?”>>

I think that this is a new option for the next year, as an add-on to the half-fare card. It may not be a “stand alone” option, after the new system eliminates the “one month” Swiss travel Pass.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • The thread ‘Would you like a one month Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.