Would you like a one month Swiss Travel Pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 August 2016 at 12:45:07 #854104

Hi Mageo,

Thank you for sharing that suggestion. I haven’t heard of it before but it seems to be a viable option. One would need the one year Half-Fare travelcard, which basically is a product for Swiss residents. On top of that, one can buy a 1-month travelcard (not available without the Half-Fare travelcard). The total price is CHF 185 + CHF 410 = CHF 595 (2nd class) or CHF 185 + CHF 670 = CHF 855 (1st class). Details can be found here: http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/railpasses/hal f-fare-travelcard.html#zusatz dienste. I will try to get some additional information.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2016 at 13:05:34 #854105

Hi Arno-

<<“One would need the one year Half-Fare travelcard, which basically is a product for Swiss residents. On top of that, one can buy a 1-month travelcard (not available without the Half-Fare travelcard).”>>

Indeed……….it would be interesting to find out if that option is available with the tourists one-month Half Fare pass/card.

I was aware that one could purchase day cards with the Swiss residents Half- Fare travel card, but I was not aware of the 1-month option.

Slowpoke

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    16 August 2016 at 23:52:28 #854106

Hi Arno & Slowpoke,

Thanks for your comments re:

“1-month travelpass for the Half-Fare travelcard (CHF 410.00), and a “Half-Fare travelcard” (CHF 185.00)”.

I did wonder if

SBB were quoting for a Swiss resident, even though I stressed that I would be an International visitor.

Mageo

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2016 at 9:41:16 #854107

Hi Slowpoke,

The one-month Swiss Half Fare Card does not allow to use the 1-month travelpass. I just got confirmation about that.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2016 at 9:45:57 #854108

Hi Mageo,

I think everyone can buy those products. But it’s more of a hassle: one needs an electronic card (the Swiss Pass, not to be confused with the Swiss Travel Pass) and provide a passport photo. It takes time to arrange for all of that, much different from simply printing a Swiss Travel Pass at home. I never tried though, so I’m not sure.

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    17 August 2016 at 10:38:43 #854109

Thanks for that info Arno.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2016 at 14:11:08 #854110

Hi Arno-

In the past, the key requirement was a Swiss mailing address.

Recently, the description of the rules has changed, and they now say something about Swiss residence permit or identification document. Don’t recall the exact words. I have not tested yet….my Halb Tax does not expire until next year.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2016 at 14:23:58 #854111

Hi Slowpoke,

I couldn’t find the requirement for Swiss residency. The requirements listed by the SBB are a credit/debit card, a high quality colour digital passport photo and a passport or ID card (any, I guess, they do not specify “Swiss”). It’s quite a hassle for a tourist. I am checking with my contacts whether it can be sold in an easier way, but I don’t count on anything to be honest. This is not for the masses.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2016 at 17:38:47 #854112

Hi Arno-

Thanks or checking.

<<“I couldn’t find the requirement for Swiss residency. “>>

Good- I’ll look furthre, but that is good news. I know I saw something about Swiss residence requirements…we are talking about a 1 year (or more) half fare card, right?

Like my current Halbtax (at least in functionality.)

<<“The requirements listed by the SBB are a credit/debit card, a high quality colour digital passport photo and a passport or ID card (any, I guess, they do not specify “Swiss”). “>>

That is what I have to provide now, plus a Swiss mailing address.

<<“It’s quite a hassle for a tourist. I am checking with my contacts whether it can be sold in an easier way, but I don’t count on anything to be honest. This is not for the masses.”>>

Perhaps, but for someone who returns a few times per year, it is a reasonable option, and you can e-mail a digital photo, which have done.

Slowpoke.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2016 at 18:38:17 #854113

Hi Slowpoke,

I checked the SBB link I shared earlier in this thread for the requirements.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2016 at 20:39:25 #854114

Thanks-

I’m sure that you did.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2016 at 14:18:35 #854115

Would love to see the month pass return. Ideal for long stay travellers. Allows you to move according to weather as well. Would be even better if the two travelling together saver could be re introduced. As someone has mentioned previously, not any promotions for UK residents. The Swiss Passes are becoming more expensive but less flexible. After annual visits for 40 years, it could be time to look elsewhere for holidays.

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 August 2016 at 14:29:57 #854116

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here Lancia, very useful! Regarding the saver prices: all prices were set at the saver level early 2015, but they didn’t call it “Saver” anymore. So single travelers won by paying less, groups did not loose as prices stayed the same for them (apart from 3% inflation or something like that).

ruedi
    Participant
    26 posts
    21 August 2016 at 18:38:22 #854117

Hi Arno

I keep seeing this on the thread that people are considering going elsewhere (other countries) because the rail system is becoming very much more expensive and far less flexible. Who could you sthis information on to..it seems a very sad state of affairs. Thak you

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 August 2016 at 19:20:15 #854118

Hi Ruedi-

Apart from what the results are for all of us tourists, please keep in mind that a major goal of the SBB is to become a high-speed network between the major population centers. Within Switzerland, primarily,but, I suspect , also for nearby cites outside Switzerland. Reduces pollution, keeps inefficient transport ( cars) off the roads and, especially, out of the cities.

The strategy is to build up fast and frequent connections for the most frequent users of the rail lines…the Swiss citizens…while reducing service on secondary lines and substituting buses.

So, there is now service every half an hour from Bern to/from Zürich.

Fast tracks between Bern and Olten have speeded up the trip from Geneva to Luzern, etc.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 August 2016 at 8:37:43 #854119

Hi Ruedi,

We’ll pass on all information in this thread to Swiss Travel System, who are the decision makers in this regard. So even though we don’t have any direct influence, all opinions here will be taken into account. Perhaps it makes a difference, perhaps not.

My personal take on this is that it’s a matter of demand. The number of visitors to Switzerland who only stay short (one week or just a few days) is overwhelming. Proportionally, only a few stay more than two weeks. However, the people who stay long tend to visit frequently and often are the ambassadors for Swiss tourism. That’s why I think this matters. A 3- and 4-week Swiss Travel Pass should be an option for them, even if it’s not sold in great numbers.

ruedi
    Participant
    26 posts
    22 August 2016 at 12:09:47 #854120

Thank you both Arno and Slowpoke for your insight and comments…hope it works.

regards ruedi

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 August 2016 at 1:04:52 #854121

<<“However, the people who stay long tend to visit frequently and often are the ambassadors for Swiss tourism. That’s why I think this matters. A 3- and 4-week Swiss Travel Pass should be an option for them, even if it’s not sold in great numbers.”>>

I don’t disagree, even a little bit.

However, for the SBB to subsidize tourism $$ in Switzerland requires a higher level coordination -looking toward the overall benefit for the Federation

That has certainly existed in the past. In these days of “profit centers” it may be less possible.

My opinion.

Slowpoke.

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 September 2016 at 8:36:14 #854122

Thanks everyone for your responses! What would be the ideal Swiss Travel Pass duration for you? They currently offer 3, 4, 8 and 15 days. Would you prefer 21 days, 22 days, 30 days, something else?

Swissophile
    Participant
    26 posts
    26 September 2016 at 9:32:06 #854123

I found the 22-day pass was ideal, allowing for three full weeks plus the extra travel day home. I would love to see that duration reinstated.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • The thread ‘Would you like a one month Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.