Zermatt alternative in case of bad weather

Zermatt alternative in case of bad weather

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
gnapes
gnapes
8 posts
Aug 5, 2015 - 5:26 AM

I am leaving Milan for Zermatt on 8/21 and then I am staying in Wengen for two nights beginning the 23rd. If the weather forecast looks bad for Zermatt can you recommend another option before I get to Wengen? I am traveling with my wife and it's out frist time in Switzerland. We have a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. Thank you very much for any suggestions!

Annika
Annika
4415 posts
expert &
Aug 6, 2015 - 6:46 AM

Hi gnapes!

Have you actually planned an overnight stay in Zermatt? In that case the alternative shouldn't be too far away I guess, as you don't want to spend too much time on traveling. You will have to accept some traveling time though, because you'll have to get out of the valley first. If weather in Zermatt is bad, you do have a change of better circumstances down in the Rhone valley, especially in the western part of it. Consider towns like Brig, Sion and Martigny, or even Montreux along Lake Geneva. They're very different from Zermatt though, being larger towns and not mountain resorts. Another beautiful mountain resort is Saas-Fee, but if weather in Zermatt is bad, it most probably will be in Saas-Fee too.

Do pay close attention to weather forecasts and check local circumstances, as these may vary significantly.

gnapes
gnapes
8 posts
Aug 6, 2015 - 3:28 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. No I do not have a hotel reserved yet. I'm waiting until next week to book a room when I have a better idea of the weather forecast. Does that change your suggestions? Thank you!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2648 posts
expert
Aug 6, 2015 - 4:39 PM in reply to gnapes

<<" 7posts: new memberAug 6, 2015 - 3:28 PMThank you for your suggestions. No I do nothave a hotel reserved yet. I'm waiting until next week to book a roomwhen I have a better idea of the weather forecast. Does that change yoursuggestions? Thank you!">>

I hope that you have no trouble finding a room. August is high season, and mountain resorts are busy.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
7707 posts
expert &
Aug 7, 2015 - 7:44 AM in reply to gnapes

If you want, we can provide suggestions for accommodation once you've picked a town. Just let us know your budget and any other preferences to narrow down the choice.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016