Zermatt to St. Moritz by Glacier Express in March

• Vince_Woon
    Participant
    9 posts
    4 January 2023 at 10:27:12 #828830

Hi guys, i am travelling from Zermatt to St. Moritz by Glacier Express on March 2023 and stay overnight there. I am wonder on following day if i could take Bernina Express from St. Moritz to Chur? then proceed to take normal train to Zurich.

Thank you so much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2023 at 17:02:52 #949334

Hi Vince Woon and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

Sure, you can travel by the Bernina Express the next day, you can check the route of these panoramic trains here:

You can switch in Chur or St. Moritz for example. For hotel tips in St. Moritz, please visit: http://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz/hotels.

Make sure to have a rail pass to save money. Check the Swiss Travel Pass, which is valid for both of these routes (seat reservation is needed): http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2023 at 17:11:34 #949335

There is no point in taking the Bernina Express from St Moritz to Chur, since that railway is not the Bernina Railway.

St Moritz – Chur is the UNESCO World Heritage ALBULA RAILWAY

http://www.rhb.ch/en/leisure-travel-and-excursions/discover-graubuenden/albula-line

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albula_Railway

St Moritz – Chur ‘walk-on’ express trains run every 1 hour throughout the day, equipped with RhB’s most up to date carriages, the Alvra. You can board any one of those trans at your convenience.

Vince_Woon
    Participant
    9 posts
    5 January 2023 at 4:43:17 #949336

Ahh thank you so much! No wonder when I search the train from St.Moritz station on Bernina express website, there is no Chur station available, only the stations towards Tirano is available.

yes I have got the Swiss travel pass and booked the hotel in St. Moritz already, so I will just take the regular train from St Moritz to Zurich.

thanks a lot 1960 man and lldiko!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2023 at 12:16:29 #949337

If you have not travelled on the Albula railway from St Moritz to Chur before you will find it is spectacular in its own right, with spirals and loops between the Albula tunnel and Berguen-Bravuogn, then the Landwasser viaduct at Filisur. You should sit on the left hand side of the train in the direction of travel on departure from St Moritz. Each Alvra train also has a special coach with lateral (side facing) seats and opening windows for taking pictures

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2023 at 17:38:40 #949338

Hi Vince,

You can read more about the differences between the Bernina Express and local trains at http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress. Search for the title ‘Regular trains versus Bernina Express’.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2023 at 23:22:55 #949339

This point is irrelevant as Vince Woon is only travelling St Moritz – Chur.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 January 2023 at 8:15:56 #949340

Maybe, but it might still be relevant for other travelers reading this thread :-). We try to keep a broader public in mind when answering questions.

Vince_Woon
    Participant
    9 posts
    6 January 2023 at 8:15:58 #949341

Yes I am travelling from St. Moritz to Chur and thereafter travel to Zurich. And I have made up my mind to take the Albula railway.

Thanks everyone for the inputs, appreciate it so much even on the Bernina express information.

Cheers!

• The thread ‘Zermatt to St. Moritz by Glacier Express in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.