Zermatt Travel Concern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2010 at 23:55:07 #803931

Hi,
    We have certain questions which requires clarification to decide about Zermatt tour…

a)Which is more scenic zermatt to matterhorn or Zermatt to Gornergrat? With Swiss Saver Pass how much additional amount one has to pay per person for both of these?
    b) Should we select to go to both of these in the late afternoons ie around 16:00 onwards or early mornings ie around 7:30am onwards?

c)Since we are staying at Hotel Garni Tannenhof in Zermatt which station we should go to catch the train for Gornergrat? and which train station or cable car station we should go for Matterhorn ? we are confused between Zermatt ZBAG-lz and Zermatt GGB. How far are these stations from Hotel Tannenhof??any idea..

d) At which of the Zermatt mentioned does Glacier Express start from to go to St Moritz the next day??Pls suggest

e) In SBB timetable there is no connection available for Matterhorn to Zermatt back? Only forward journey Zermatt to Matterhorn through cable cars and gondola that too early morning with last connection being at 7:55am. How do we come back ..Any idea?

f) Now i have seen Matterhorn Golf Hotel located at Wildi,3928 Randa. Should we stay here in comparison with Hotel Tannehof..that is Randa or Zermatt is better for staying since one is car free other is not…

Pls suggest us as we are completely unaware if we should spend time in Zermatt or should we just keep it as one night base to travel further?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 July 2010 at 5:15:15 #831611

Hello sanmacviv!

a) The train ride from Zermatt up to the Gornergrat is very scenic and spectacular. I’d prefer it over the cable car ride up to Klein Matterhorn (also called Matterhorn glacier paradise). The view here is wonderful as well, but the Matterhorn will be seen from a less characteristic angle. The Swiss Pass offers a 50% discount on both trips. Price overviews are available through the Zermatt Tourism website, at the Gornergrat page and the Matterhorn glacier paradise page.

b) Either late afternoons or early mornings are the best times to visit such viewing points, as it well be less crowded than between 10 am and 3 pm and the sunlight is softer and prettier. My personal preference is a visit early in the morning, so that there’s plenty of time left to enjoy the view and maybe take a hike.

c) The Gornergrat train leaves from the street right opposite the main railway station. You can take a look at this map and click the box ‘Traffic’ in the menu on the left. The blue icons will show cable car and railway stations, the Gornergrat train being indicated by Zermatt GGB. The cable car to the Matterhorn glacier paradise leaves at the southern end of the town, which requires a short walk from the main railway station. On the map I mentioned, it’s indicated by a cable car icon and the name Zermatt Furi, Talstation. The ZBAG names refer to bus stops. You can enter your hotel’s address here as well to see where it’s located.

d) Glacier Express trains leave from the central railway station, simply indication by the train icon and the name Zermatt on the map.

e) In the SBB timetable, cable car connections aren’t visible. Please refer to the Matterhorn glacier paradise timetable.

f) Zermatt is car free, larger and more touristy than Randa. Especially if you want to get up in the mountains and take either the Gornergrat train or the Matterhorn cable car, it’s most convenient to choose for Zermatt as your base. If you take a look at the Zermatt website, I think you’ll be able to find out if you’d like to spend more time here than just one night. It’s definitely worth to take at least one day for exploring the area and making a train or cable car ride.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2010 at 5:54:48 #831612

Hi,
    Thank you for the extensive guidance you have provide to us it was worthwhile to plan… Now with all the link that oyu had provided here i have timetables and price list in front of me… Its pretty clear on the train stations.. But being a budget traveller still i am unable to decide the place of stay whether Hotel Tannenhof in Zermatt ot Matterhorn Golf Hotel in Randa….Have to decide quickly to book one of these today…
    My plan would be to take the cable car from Zermatt to Kleine Matterhorn early morning around 8am and in the afternoon take the train from Zermatt to Gornergrat to return in the evening. So please share your inputs if Hotel Tannenhof or Matterhorn Golf is suitable given both are equally priced for 2 nights…

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    27 July 2010 at 6:54:10 #831613

Hello sanmacviv,

I agree with the answer Annika gave you under f).

If I understand correctly you are planning to visit Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat on the same day. You might be tired at the end of the day, so I guess you would be happy to reach your hotel soon. If that’s the case you better opt for the hotel in Zermatt, which is situated quite near the station of the Gornergrat Bahn, rather than taking yet another trip by train to Randa.

I hope this helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2010 at 7:46:21 #831614

Appreciated … thks for the suggestion…

• The thread ‘Zermatt Travel Concern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.