Zurich – Lauterbrunnen- Italy – pass or supersaver

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2016 at 9:33:30 #808247

Hello Swiss Rail gurus,

I’m having trouble working out which will be the most economical means of buying our train tickets. We are only passing through Switzerland for 3 days. Day 1: Zurich Airport – Wengen. Day 2: Wengen-Lauterbrunnen-Wengen. Day 3: Wengen to Lake Orta in Italy.

Should I just buy supersaver tickets and not worry about any passes? Or is there a cheaper way to do it?

Also the journey from Wengen to Lake Orta looks like this: Wengen-Lauterbrunnen-Interlaken Ost-Spiez-Domodossola(Italy)-Orta Miasona(Italy). Do I purchase the ticket for Wengen-Domodossola in Switzerland – and then purchase the ticket for Domodosola-Orta once I am over the border in Italy?

cheers

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 January 2016 at 11:17:35 #847564

Hello kaiser,

I suggest you look into a Swiss Transfer Ticket. It will cover your entire journey from Zurich Airport to Wengen and from Wengen to Domodossola. You can buy a regular full fare ticket for Wengen-Lauterbrunnen-Wengen. If you’re interested, you can order the Swiss Transfer Ticket as an e-ticket without any additional costs through http://www.swissrailways.com.

You should check the supersaver offers for your travel dates to find out if these are cheaper. Do mind that supersaver tickets are bound to specific trains, so if you miss your train, your ticket is useless. The Swiss Transfer Ticket allows you to board any train, and is thus more flexible.

You also need an additional ticket for the Italian leg of your journey: Domodossola-Orta. You can best order it in advance. That way, you can stay seated and you don’t have to get out in Domodossola. Ticket options for Italy are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2016 at 11:25:56 #847565

Thank you Annika. I will check out the SWiss Transfer Ticket. 🙂

• The thread ‘Zurich – Lauterbrunnen- Italy – pass or supersaver’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.